do your meds change to liquids after surgery and if so, are they more expensive in liquid form?

buckeyebaklava
on 4/19/12 11:49 pm - Mt Gilead, OH
Im very new but have a lot of questions, probably mundane to many...but am grateful for any support. TIA
unewillow
on 4/20/12 1:01 am - CT
If you mean your regualr prescription meds, no. Some surgeons will have you crush your pills for awhile post-op and some say you can just swallow them like normal. The only thing that may need to change is if you are on any extended release meds, they will have to be changed back to regular relese meds because our new anatomy screws up the absorption of the meds.

southernlady5464
on 4/20/12 1:09 am
Check with your pharmicist as to any of your prescription meds that can be crushed/split/whatever. If they are too big and can not be split or crushed, see if there is a liquid alternative until you are able to swallow bigger pills.

Some liquid prescription meds ARE more expensive as they are NOT the generic alternative. Example, right now I am taking nexium because I can not get omprazole in a "liquid" form. And yes, the co-pay on the nexium thru my prescription insurance was higher than the omprazole would be.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

poet_kelly
on 4/20/12 3:32 am - OH
I did not change any of my meds to liquids.  The extended release meds I changed to the non-extended release version, but my copay for those is the same.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Mom4Jazz
on 4/20/12 4:21 am
Some people are told to switch to liquids short term. I went home from the hospital taking small pills and crushing others. My vitamins were chewables for 30 days, then I could take them and the pills I had been crushing the normal way.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

BigJohnny09
on 4/20/12 11:24 am
RNY on 04/10/12
Hey Bud,

I am 10 days out, and your meds may be suspended as well as changed.'

I am on
oral suspended Nexium(decrease acidity)
Liquid Loritab(pain, hydrocodone and ancitmephin)
Avelox- antibiotic, pill that has to be crushed.  Expensive.
Ozophan- a sublingual pill for nausea.

I was on singulair, and i have to cru**** now
And my other allergy med is OTC in liquid form.

So many of the your meds will be liquid, if they arent allowed to be crushed. Some may also need prior written approval for the insurance to cover in that form. That requires follow ups.

Hope this help, but you can check with your doctor on what you will take after surgery.
MsBatt
on 4/20/12 12:16 pm
Ask away---that's what we're here for!

A for this question, that's probably going to depend on what meds you're taking, and which form of WLS you have. I think switching to liquids for a time is much more common for people who have the RNY than for those who get the VSG or the DS. Which form of WLS are you planning on having? (Given your BMI, I certainly hope you've been researching the DS/duodenal switch.)
(deactivated member)
on 4/21/12 12:47 am - PA
 they had me stop meds 14 days before surgery, and my body changed so quickly i didnt even end up back on any of the 4 i was taking prior to surgery ever!
buckeyebaklava
on 5/7/12 3:46 pm - Mt Gilead, OH
I AM investigating the duodenal swtich. It looks better at this point over the RNY for a few reasons. I do horribly under anesthesia and this looks to be less stress from a surgical standpoint, right? And later it can be converted as I get off some substantial weight, and health stressors, correct? I take a LOT of potassium ..40 Meq 5 x daily. My BiPap settings 17/11 and O2 6L/min with bipap, and 2-3 L/exertion. Failed back surgery, lots of titanium after an accident many years ago has left me with a pain pump implanted. Anyone had surgery done with an intrathecal Medtronic? What is the psychologist looking for? I do have some depression, primarily PTSD in nature, but have done the work on that for many years but feel as though it id under control. The trigger is well out of my life for good; However, with my physical declines over tthe past six months, my only children, twins, left for college left in the fall, and I think that and some isolation has had some effect on my acute depression. Will they discriminate me for this? Carolyn
Most Active