Frustrated Already !

prairie-dog-girl
on 4/26/12 9:00 am
So, yesterday was first step of the process at a very large hospital with a long standing WLS program.I went  to the required all day informational class. I previously told the person scheduling the class that I didn't have my referral authorization yet, she said no problem. I arrived at he hospital to find out, she never told me class wasn't at the hospital.I had to go to another building several miles away and was late.Upon arriving I was told I had to purchase a required reading book for $25 (also never informed). Then I was told to give them my medical record number they had assigned me (also never informed and didn't have) so they could make my appointment with the surgeon. Then , I was told I'd have to pay another $ 25 to purchase the program binder, then they'd give me medical record number ,but, couldn't see the surgeon  till I had authorization! I was very upset about how poorly this was all handled.I did purchase the book, thankfully I had my checkbook with me.Today's frustration was at the primary's office when she told me my insurance wanted the surgeon's appointment already made when referral submitted. Catch 22 is program wont give me appointment without authorization.This is the hospital my insurance says I have to go to.I also happen to work for this corporation at another location.I'd heard  they had a good program, not impressed so far. Ggggrrrrrr! Needed to vent, sorry.
poet_kelly
on 4/26/12 12:21 pm - OH
Is it the only hopsital your insurance will cover?

I showed up for the education thing at my surgeon's office only to be informed that there was a $250 program fee that had to be paid before I attended the class, which no one told me about prior to that.  I'd already had a consultation with the surgeon and everything and you would think when I scheduled the class the receptionist would have mentioned a $250 fee.  I was highly annoyed.  Everything went smoothly after that, though, so I guess she just had an off day when she neglected to mention that fee.

Maybe the person scheduling your education thing was having a bad day too.  Hopefully things don't continue this way.  If you have further problems, you might try calling the office manager.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

kittykatkatja
on 4/26/12 2:06 pm - IL
 I'm dealing with all sorts of similar runaround stuff, it's very very frustrating. They really could benefit from a good project manager! Nothing's done in parallel, and you get through one hurdle to find that you're now allowed to make your appointment for your next step - why wouldn't they let you make the appointment earlier, right?

I'm trying to just close my eyes, take a deep breath, and remind myself that I'm inching forward to changing my whole life for the better. Yes, it could happen faster, but in the long run, it's some extra weeks or months compared to years of health. 

(though I just depressed myself thinking that, since I'm 42, it's not THAT many years of health left if you compare it to two months...)

Yeah, it's definitely a roller coaster.

-Kat
 -Kat 

Surgery Approved 4/25/2012

Lots more steps left...

rhonda G.
on 4/26/12 8:58 pm - East Liverpool, OH
I started my weight loss surgery at west penn hospital in pa. they was the same way.. never telling you next step or pay anything. I started with what my insurance wanted me to do .. i was almost finished with the requirements, i make the appointment to  see surgeon, then they tell me they no longer accept my insurance. now, after 6 months of paper work being faxed to their office, and my pcp faxing alot of stuff t o them. why would they wait until i  travel to pittsburgh,pa, which is a ways for me.. to tell me they dont accept my insurance/ I have a phone and they had my number! Sooo disorganized , i have never seen a office like that before! So I went to Hope Bariatrics,in sewickley pa for my surgery, I called them explained everythign to them, they told me 200.00 fee i did the 2 seminars, at sewickely hospital, they gave me all information, all names, phone numbers, and director, even met the surgeon that day . I only had the seminars, and pay my 200 fee. well lets just say .. 3 wks la ter i got my approval, and on march 29th Ihad my surgery! Please dont get frustrated over one  doctors office. go find another one , and they will help you with all the paper work from the lousy doctor!
DaisySibyl
on 4/26/12 10:48 pm
I'm sorry for the problems you have. Keep your head up, things will get fine.
prairie-dog-girl
on 4/27/12 2:03 pm
Thanks everyone. I'm usually a very patient person. I've already been warned because I have an HMO, between the required 6 month medically supervised diet and the program requirements, I'm looking at a year before surgery. I'm hope my year won't go like this and I'm sorry to hear  other's are experiencing this too.
Most Active