Silliest experience with an anti-surgery PCP (pre-op)

songbird177
on 4/26/12 11:22 am - Carmichael, CA
DS on 12/03/12
Sorry but I had to share. This is ridiculous. For background, this is a new pcp at the same clinic I've been going to. I am currently waiting for an IMR for a consultation for a DS.

So I saw a new pcp today, in the same office, for my monthly visit. I got the whole speech of "we need to do something about your weight" for more than I'd like. I mentioned to him I was waiting for an appeal for bariatric surgery (didn't mention the DS specifically as after waiting 3 hours in the waiting room with no lunch I was exhausted). This seemed to irritate him. He said that I wasn't thinking and that would be the worst thing I could do to myself and that I just needed to actually TRY to lose weight.I told him I had been dieting my whole life but he cut me off. Oh boy, I thought. Here we go with another uneducated doctor :/. But before I could even say anything he was drawing ME a picture of how bariatric surgery works but kept repeating that he didn't know what happens during it but that there are a LOT of complications. The picture was funny. I expected to see a picture of a pouch as that seems to be the only procedure doctors are familiar with but was trying hard not to laugh when he explained that they reroute the insides so the STOMACH is bypassed and explained how you don't eat, you don't get ANY protein, you don't get ANY vitamins, etc, and you lose weight by starving yourself, yet said he wasn't sure how they do it. I had to try hard not to laugh. I figured it wasn't worth trying to explain so I just smiled.

Then before I could leave he told me what diet he thought I should be on. I actually tried something similar to this before. He told me for breakfast I should have a bowl of fruit. For lunch, have a salad and put lean meat in it or "whatever I like". And for dinner eat with my family, that should be the only time we "eat big"  or eat together and to "eat whatever you eat" then. But be careful as since I am on oral diabetes medication to be careful I don't go into hypoglycemia.

Um I've been hypoglycemia since I was a child. And last time I tried a fruit and veggie only diet I passed out left and right and was a frequent flyer to the ER due to hypoglycemia. No way do I want to go through that again!

He also said that I have to be VERY active and there would be no way that I wouldn't be able to lose weight because that and eating fruits and veggies don't make you gain. Um, last time I checked doc, my joints and back are too messed up to walk on my own, let alone in severe pain, so how am I meant to be very active?? Plus I told him I fall alot and he still thinks I can be very active..

Ugh! When will these type of docs end? I seem to be getting alot of them, not just at this clinic.

He did at least give me the right meds for asthma and nerve pain. First doc in 4 years to do that, so I have to give him that.
poet_kelly
on 4/26/12 11:44 am - OH
Maybe you could send him a diagram of the surgery and some basic info on how it's done?  Sounds like he could use some education.

Or, um, if you wanna PM me his name and address, I'll send him a little packet.  I'm only half-kidding.  I have been known to send docs educational materials before.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

songbird177
on 4/26/12 2:53 pm - Carmichael, CA
DS on 12/03/12
Hehe yeah or maybe I can make him a shirt with a diagram lol. I think he is a lost cause. Its sad that there are docs out there like this. At least I have done my research to know better than what he advised.
qnmimi
on 4/26/12 7:02 pm - Cottage Grove, MN
Sounds like a putz....he didn't even show enough interest to listen to you! BTW...how active can you get if you hafta wrap yourself in bubblewrap to exercise so you don't hurt yourself when you fall? LOL

(deactivated member)
on 4/27/12 3:03 am
VSG on 10/18/12
LOL WOW! I am on doofus pcp # 3! The first one told me that weight loss surgery for someone so young was unacceptable. (I am 30) that it will never keep my thin since I am young? wtf?  The 2nd went on to explain, that it was unfair of me to do this since i have a 1 year old son that will grow up without a mother. Since I will become so sick after weight loss surgery from being weak, lack of vitamins/minerals that I will be a bed prone veggie (Her words exactly) When she asked what surgery I wanted and I told  her the vsg, she gasped and said what the heck is that! LOL I DID LAUGH! I told her (right before I walked the hell out) Before you judge me and tell me what I should DO with my life, you should think before you speak. I AM doing this for my son...so he will have a mother when he is in his teens. Because if I keep on living this merry go round cycle of dieting/losing/gaining I surely will die before he is even ten! So get educated before you spew crap out of your mouth. Needless to say I was a bit rude, but come the frick on! Friggin turds! I have # 3 coming up this Tuesday,..supposedly she is pro wls,...we shall see! I am getting gripier and meaner with each uneducated friggin Dr. Please oh Lord be a good one! LOL
songbird177
on 4/27/12 3:48 am - Carmichael, CA
DS on 12/03/12
Good for you for telling it like it is! I've gotten the "you're too young for wls" from other docs as well. Where do these docs get the notion that because they've never heard of it , it is wrong? Good luck with #3
(deactivated member)
on 4/27/12 5:01 am
VSG on 10/18/12
Thank you lol! I know right? I didn't realize if we were "young" it was alright to be unhealthy! Screw that I want to GROW OLD that is WHY I am doing this! Thank you, I Pray nightly the next one is understanding and intelligent or I fear I may "slap a mofo" LOLOL! It has been almost 3 months, and each time I have to see a new pcp I have to wait a month for it to kick in with my insurance (HMO) I am running out of patience, literally! :) So I really do not have the strength to sit through another dumb Dr. spouting non-sense! (rant over) Promise. Good luck to you!
songbird177
on 4/27/12 5:43 am - Carmichael, CA
DS on 12/03/12
I feel your pain! lol .I have a HMO too. They give my the first 5 days of the month to change a doctor. It took almost a year of going through docs because of that to find one that actually agreed to bariatric surgery. Now I am having problems with the insurance itself and the office staff at the drs office and the doc that agreed left the practice lol. I hope you find a good doctor soon! I know how tiring it can be. Don't give up!
(deactivated member)
on 4/27/12 6:00 am
VSG on 10/18/12
BOOO HMO'S! LOL I have a month to wait from when  I change Dr's. Man it so sucks I originally had great insurance and a great surgeon all set! Did all my testing/exams/nuts/ and surgery was scheduled and bam insurance canceled, game over. LOL Boy did that suck, so I can deal with these hassels. Aw man a whole friggin year? That bums me out...lol but hopefully they get things settled for you. Calling this a "journey" is strangely appropriate to me now. Thanks girl, same to you!
MsBatt
on 4/27/12 1:07 pm
I have a card I carry in my wallet that shows exactly how my insides were changed when I had my DS. It's come in handy several times. (*grin*)
Most Active