Milk issues

kitzunenotsuki
on 4/28/12 5:41 am - ND
RNY on 03/27/12
I'm having an issue drinking milk but I'm unable to determine exactly what my prolem is.  This is basically what happens: I can have milk in my cereal (cheerios) with no problems.  However, when I try to drink milk with my protein shakes I can barely drink it.  My only adverse reactions so far after my surgery is a bit of pain if I don't chew throughly enough, and a slight pain when I drink liquid other than water.  That has been getting better, thought.  When I drink milk I don't have the pain, however I start to feel slightly nauseous so I can't drink much of my protein. I force as much as I can down but I can barely get half a cup.

I have tried fat free, 1%, and soy milk all with the same response.  I start feeling sick just thinking about drinking milk even thoughI loved milk pre-surgery.  I can think of too many issues, am I lactose intolerant now? (Then why is soy the same?)  Is it the thickness?  Am I drinking too fast?

Any previous expeirences that could help?
  Pre-op weight  265, weight date of surgery 247, Weight today 217, Goal Weight 133
 Date of RNY: March 27th 2012    
poet_kelly
on 4/28/12 5:43 am - OH
Maybe the problem is your protein shake, not the milk.

What brand of protein are you using?  How much sugar is in it?  Does it have a smell that bothers you?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

kitzunenotsuki
on 4/28/12 5:47 am - ND
RNY on 03/27/12
I have been using Carnation Instant Breakfast that's sugar free.  I tried Unjury pre-surgery as well, but I ran out of it.  perhaps I should order more.

I'll try drinking a plain cup of milk to test the hypothesis.  It's one I've considered but I hadn't read much about protein supplements causing discomfort.
  Pre-op weight  265, weight date of surgery 247, Weight today 217, Goal Weight 133
 Date of RNY: March 27th 2012    
poet_kelly
on 4/28/12 5:50 am - OH
There is no sugar free carnation instant breakfast.  There is no sugar added, which still has five grams of sugar, plus the natural sugar in your milk that you mix it in.  Perhaps that all adds up to too much sugar for you right now.  Do you get nauseous if you only drink part of it instead of a whole glass?

But there could also be some other ingredient in the instant breakfast that is upsetting your stomach.  It's hard to say what.  I would try a couple different brands of shakes and see how they go.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

goddessgrrl
on 4/28/12 6:00 am - VA
I've had a problem with dairy since my RNY. I drink rice milk or almond milk (I like the rice milk better) & mix it with my protein shake & 2 scoops of Syntrax Nectar unflavored powder. I put some ice cubes in the shaker bottle to water it down a bit & make it really cold. I have trouble getting the whole thing down; sometimes I have about an inch in the bottle left that I just cannot force down.

I love Fage 0% fat Greek yogurt, but I can only eat like a teaspoon plain & I'm full. I bought some WonderSlim shake/pudding mix from Bariatric Choice & I mix a packet with about a cup of Fage & slowly stir it up to make a pudding that's like chocolate mousse. I can eat about 2 tablespoons of that & be full but not queasy. I cover the rest & put it in the fridge & have it later. It's delicious & not overly sweet. I like it because it adds more protein.

I agree with Kelly: it could be the protein that's making you queasy. But honestly, I was just turned OFF by milk after my surgery. I used to drink a glass of skim milk every night, but I haven't had straight milk since my surgery.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Valerie G.
on 4/28/12 10:24 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 I can eat all kinds of dairy products - EXCEPT straight milk.  I do fine with almond milk though, and I love it.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

queenmabb
on 4/29/12 9:14 am
I have similar issues with milk.  I recently started drinking almond milk and have had no problems.  :)
(deactivated member)
on 4/30/12 1:56 am - WA
Your describing excatly what I went thru. After changing protien powders repeatedly I finally figured out it was the milk. I had the same symptoms you have. I finally gave up and quit all milk and milk products. I can only do soy milk with cereal but never drink it like milk and never drink down the milk after the cereal is gone.  I miss milk. It sucked having to mix protien powders with water.
Most Active