I am 5 weeks post-op and it has been about a week and I haven't lost any weight... what is...

I_must_be_crazy
on 5/9/12 3:24 am
I was losing weight and now after 5 weeks I have not lost anymore in about a week.  I haven't been over eatting in fact I still cant eat all that I should.  I am so afraid this surgery isn't going to work for me,  I have  had a really rough time since my surgery and I do not want to go back to gaining weight.  I have only lost 25 pounds in 5 weeks, most of that was the first two weeks after surgery.  I have even been walking more then I was to get in more exercise.   Has anyone else had this problem? 
paranoidmother21
on 5/9/12 3:42 am - Lake Zurich, IL
Most of us have had that problem, so calm down and take a deep breath and have a nice seat.

First off, if you had RNY (gastric bypass), there is no way that you aren't losing weight at this point. You cannot possibly consume enough calories to maintain your current mass, and on top of that, you're not absorbing all of what you consume.

What IS happening is that the scale is telling you how much gravity is pulling you down to Earth. So if you are retaining water or retaining stool, you will appear to have gained weight.

My surgeon's PA warned us that this might happen, to expect it, and to just hang on. Eventually your body will realize that you are NOT starving it to death, and start dropping weight again.
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

I_must_be_crazy
on 5/9/12 10:06 pm
That makes sense...  thank you very much for posting... 
Mary Catherine
on 5/9/12 3:44 am
 Average weight loss after surgery is 100 pounds in one year.  It is a little different for every one, but you lost more than average this month.  Don't try to eat more food then is comfortable.

Just because the doctor says you can eat something does not mean your body is healed enough.  

Your pouch will grow naturally and you will be comfortable eating more.  You will someday look back and wish you no longer could eat.  Enjoy this honeymoon period after surgery.

Month 1 – 20 pounds

Month 2-6 – 10 pounds

Month 7-12 – 5 pounds

I_must_be_crazy
on 5/9/12 10:08 pm
A person at group actually told me this excat same thing...  She said she wishes she worked harder to loose weight during the honeymoon period because it is harder for her now...  I will keep doing what I need to do.  Thanks for posting this.   :)

JUSTJUNQUIES
on 5/9/12 6:23 am - Citrus Heights, CA
RNY on 04/04/12
MEEEE TOOOOO , it is normal though , I haven't lost anything for over a week , but I don't care, I am doing what I am supposed to and that is all I can do . The weight will come off.
Funny I actually lost faster when I was on a liquid only diet for 9 month years ago...kinda funny.
I am revision from band and I am eating more now than I was with the band...It will happen , it alsmost has to after having 5' of intenstines bypassed !!!

Donna Q. --5'8" -60 years old
Band 2005
hw320 sw276 lw with band 195 gw 160-180? 
Bypass 4/4/2012
pre sw 258 lw RNY 162 cw 203

I_must_be_crazy
on 5/9/12 10:04 pm
I too lost weight faster when I did the optifast program...  i had lost over 100 pounds with that program but then gained it all back with in a few years...  hopefully when I weigh myself next week there will be a loss...  thanks for posting :)

(deactivated member)
on 5/9/12 11:20 pm
 How much protein are you drinking EVERY day?  And how much fat and carbs are in the protein?  Are you mixing it with water or something else?  I drank (and still drink) Syntrax Nectar mixed in water.  Each seriving is 24 grams of protein, 100 calories and zero fat and zero carbs.  It is really not much different than Optifast.  I made sure I had three servings a day and then, at 5 weeks, I was still eating very small meals.  perhaps 2-4 ounces of yogurt for breakfast, about 6 ounces of soup for lunch and perhaps 2 ounces of tuna for dinner.  

Best,

Dragonryder2
on 5/10/12 12:27 am - NM
Sounds to me like your body is in the OMG what did you do to me stage.  I'm in starvation mode, hanging on to every calorie.

Let your body rest for a week.  It is okay if you don't lose everyday.  Just be sure you get the Lifestyle/Lifetime changes set in your head so you will continue to eat right and workout regularly.

You have to be patient with your body, you will have a stall or two on the journey down the scale.

Best wishes and keep us posted, we are here to help you on your journey.
enriqueiana
on 6/20/12 6:55 am - Waco, TX
I am now 5 weeks post-op and having the exact same problem!  I feel like I am able to eat more than I should too.  I stalled for about a week and a half but have finally lost 2 more pounds.  It is good to see that this is fairly normal.  I too am worried that this will not work for me.
Most Active