Antidpressants and slow weight loss/weight gain?

nicoleista
on 5/13/12 1:53 am - MI
VSG on 03/05/12
I was reading a post that got me thinking about the impact of antidepressants on the weight loss process. I have been taking Zoloft for about 7 years now and I couldn't function with out it. But I got to thinking, what effect is this having on my weight loss. I have heard that wellbutrin is one of the better medications to avoid the weight gain from antidepressants but I wondered how universal this experience is? I wonder what others experiences are with antidepressant medications and their weight loss journey?

stephbehrlan
on 5/13/12 2:19 am
 Before my revision, I was taking 5 pysch meds including Xanax. I have reduced them down to 2 and an ambien as needed. All of my meds were weight gainers the biggest being the Xanax. It has been tough, but Im too commited to this weight loss and I have found other ways to deal with anxiety and stress. I would not recommend going off of any medication without the support of your dr. though!

Debbie R.
on 5/13/12 3:10 am - Cedar Hill, TX
VSG on 02/27/12
I would stay with whatever meds have been working if you are stable with your depression. Making med changes & going through possible other side effects for me is not something I want to do. I stick with what works for me & live with it. I'm not in a race I just want the weight off & as long as the scale keeps moving I can live with that. It's better than no movement at all. Now of course while I say this I wish the weight would literally drop off, but it didn't come on over night so I can't get rid of it overnight!!

You have lost a lot already for being so new post-op!!
Keep up the good work!!

poet_kelly
on 5/13/12 3:58 am - OH
I've been on Effexor since before my surgery and it didn't keep me from reaching my goal weight.  However, last summer I was started on Abilify, and I gained 23 pounds in just a couple months.  I stopped taking the drug (under my doctor's supervision) and so far have lost ten of those pounds.  I think it varies from patient to patient, though.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

goddessgrrl
on 5/13/12 4:49 am - VA
I've been on Zoloft since 1995 (with doctors increasing dosage as time's gone by). After my open RNY 2/28/12, I had to crush my Zoloft. I could barely stand the smell of water, let alone crushed Zoloft (or Tylenol). That was the part of my day I dreaded the most, drinking that crushed Zoloft. So I skipped a dose or two.

I must tell you honestly: I hit bottom emotionally about a month & a half later. I don't know if there was a malabsorption issue (my doctors don't know, either), or that it was a delayed reaction to my skipped doses. But it was BAD. One of the worst bouts of depression I've ever gone through.

I've been seeing a counselor weekly since 3 weeks before my surgery, & I attend Overeaters Anonymous meetings at least once a week (more like 3 a week). Although both have helped me immensely, that bottom-out scared me almost to death. Thank heaven I told my grown daughter & my doctors & got help.

I've been steadily losing weight since my RNY. I don't weigh myself often (I usually only weigh at the doctor's), but I'm about 2 1/2 months out & have lost about 45 pounds. I started in a size 20 jeans (which were tight) & I now fit into size 14 jeans.

I feel this way: I'm not in a huge hurry to lose my weight. I'm so happy I had this surgery, & I know that, if I follow my surgeon's instructions, eat right (protein firs****er water water), take my vitamins, & get some exercise, I will be slimmer each month that goes by.

If you decide to change depression meds, PLEASE: Have a support system in place (surgeon's office, PCP, psychiatrist / psychologist / LSCW / counselor, family members [my husband was completely absent emotionally & was no help to me & if anything a hindrance], Overeaters Anonymous [I can't recommend them highly enough; this is a wondrous organization]).

Keep us posted! I wish you only happiness & success!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

dhsimaitis
on 5/13/12 6:34 pm
Revision on 04/23/12
I am bipolar and take several meds (Abilify, Lamictal, Prozac, Trazodone, and Klonopin- generics of course!) I, too, need to have a sit down with my doctor and go over my ****tail to try to weed out those culprits...  Losing weight is hard enough!  I'd be very, very careful...  and, ABSOLUTELY under doctor supervision...  but I agree, the meds can and do make it harder.

Hang in there !!!

Davina

God bless all of our efforts...

Most Active