Shakes for Pre-op

AKelley1981
on 5/23/12 1:48 am - OH
I was wondering what shakes you all are on for Pre-op. I have adkins right now. I like them a lot, but some people say they are not the greatest for pre-op and way to high in calories
jarabacoagirl
on 5/23/12 2:20 am
VSG on 12/17/12

I am still preop also.  I have been tasting different shakes because I don't want to be drinking artificial sweetners so I've been looking for ones with stevia.  I have one I like called Now Sports.  I got the dutch chocolate flavored not bad.  It has 2.5 grams of sugar (from fructose (fruit sugar) for 1 scoop which is about the amount you would use for a shake.  It has 120 calories if you don't mix it with milk.
I also heard that Jay Robb is good.   He has 5 flavors of shakes. He has good protien bars, shakes with whey, egg or soy.  Everything he has is sweetned with stevia.  The shakes only have 1 carb and 0 sugar cause he doesn't even use fruit sugar.  I heard these are good and taste good.  I've ordered some samples.  I think the calories were 110 per shake.  The website to order sample is www.jayrobb.com  I heard that if you like it and want to order in large amount Vitacost sells it cheaper.  HTH!  :-)
P.S. His shakes and the Now Sports both have 25 grams protein per serving. 

HW 302 lbs SW  279.8 lbs.  CW  193.8 lbs   MFP Jarabacoagirl  Preop diets 22.2 lbs, 1st month 21.2 lbs, 2nd month 14.6 lbs,  3rd month 11.2 lbs, 4th month 7 lbs, 5th month 7 lbs, 6th month 6.8 lbs, 7th month 5.2 lbs, 8th month 4.4 lbs 9 and 10th months slowed down didn't record exactly

108.2 lbs lost from highest weight!

(86.2 lbs of that was lost since surgery date)

aaaaaaa
on 5/23/12 2:23 am
 I am not pre-op, but yes, I also used Atkins at that time.  I however was not put on an all liquid diet by my surgeon beforehand. My surgeon had 2 ways to go. One was all liquid, the other was liquid twice a day, with one small healthy meal of mainly protein. I was allowed to go the 2nd way.  I did also use Nectar powder for my shakes right after surgery, but some people like it, and some don't.  It comes in rather large tubs, and you mix with water, or milk depending on the "flavor".

InkdSpEdTchr
on 5/23/12 2:42 am, edited 5/23/12 2:54 am
I would say that their Calorie to Protein ratio isn't that great. Most protein powders are around 100 cal for 25gm of protein,  and the Atkins shakes are 160cal for only 15gm of protein- no so great. Now they are pre-mixed which I know some folks like, but it's kinda a waste of money since you're paying for the package and water. Whereas if you get the powder, you're just paying for that and you can add in whatever you like (milk, soy/almond/coconut milk, fruit, yogurt, sugar free syrups, etc...the possibilities are endless.

Good Luck

Oh and also I used the Isopure pre-made shakes as my Pre-op plan and I lost 50lbs in 3 months, doing the 2shakes a day and 1 low carb meal at dinner plan.

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

qnmimi
on 5/23/12 10:42 am - Cottage Grove, MN
EAS has a low carb premade shake, but limited on the flavors...decent flavor especially when you play with SF syrups.

Most Active