I am having a breakdown. Please help

AKelley1981
on 5/26/12 4:45 am - OH
Hi everyone, I have only posted on here a few times. I am very nerves and very scared and second guessing my choice.

I am having surgery on June 7th. I decided on the GBS. However I am second guessing my choice.  My first choice was the band. I have about 150 lbs to loose, and thought that would be the best thing to do. After talking to the doctor she said ether the sleeve or the GBS, so I thought okay. Well i will do the sleeve. Now I am not sure because the nurse in the office had the bypass is why she tried to talk me out of the getting th e sleeve, but she said most of the patients that the doctor has done the sleeve on, end of having bypass in the end.  I guess you can say, my worry about the bypass is that I will die from it.

And to top it all off, I started the shakes on thursday. They are making me so sick. I do not know if its the Protien in them or the milk.  I switched to another shake that takes water not milk and they still are making me sick. and when I say sick I mean I am running to the bathroom within 30 min of drinking them.  And to top it all of, last night I was so hungry I went and had a turky sub from subway. I totally forgot I was sapose to be on this liquid diet.

Maybe I am just making a bad choice with all of this. Maybe I am just ment to be fat the rest of my life. 

k9ophile
on 5/26/12 5:14 am
The only thing I can tell you is that you need to as sure as humanly possible which procedure YOU want; not the one your doctor, her nurse, or your neighbor's niece's boyfriend's sister wants you to have.  YOU have to live with the results and YOU have to be vigilant about YOUR aftercare. Having confidence in your decison is as important as having the surgery in the first place.

I did not know my recovery would be as difficult as it was.  I did not know how many ignorant people would try to be the food police or ask such personal questions about my weight loss.  I just knew I was 100% sure about choosing both the procedure and physican I had. You are not meant to be fat forever, so take your time.  If you need to cancel this surgery, do so. You can always re-schedule it.

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

poet_kelly
on 5/26/12 5:25 am - OH
OK, don't panic.  You're anxious because you're getting ready to have major surgery and you're extra emotional because you've been a low calorie diet for a few days and you're not used to it.

If most of your surgeons patients that get VSG really end up having to be revised to RNY, I would consult a different surgeon.  Because it is not true that most VSG patients end up needing revisions.  That would be something unique to your surgeon and would lead me to wonder if he was doing something incorrect when he performed the sleeves.

However, I also question that nurse's statement.  I would ask your doctor what percent of his sleeve patients end up needing revision.  When he tells you and it's less than 50% (which I'd be you money it will be), I would ask him why his nurse is telling patients that most of them need revisions.  I expect he will be very unhappy to hear she is giving out incorrect information to patients.

Why are you worried that you'll die from the bypass but not from the sleeve?  Did I understand that correctly?  Actually the risk of dying is about the same for both surgeries.  And it's about the same as any other major abdominal surgery, so about the same as the risk of dying from having your gall bladder removed, or something like that.

When you say the shakes make you run to the bathroom, do you mean you get diarrhea?  Or they make you sick to your stomach, like throwing up?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Skinnygirlme
on 5/26/12 5:39 am - UT
RNY on 09/05/12
Kelly, I love the way you bring people back to Earth with your sincere and realistic questions! You are such an asset to all of us on this forum! Thank you!
  I believe in me...the best is yet to be!                        
MyLady Heidi
on 5/26/12 5:30 am
I seriously doubt that the doctors patients that had a sleeve ended up having rny, for one thing the sleeve alone is too new for that, and its not an easy to change sort of thing to go from a sleeve to a rny.  That said, depending upon what you need, rny might make you dump on sweets, or it might not, it is going to malabsorb some calories in the beginning and I believe for me it still does.  The sleeve is going to greatly reduce your stomach size, not as much chance of dumping and your stomach stays in tact as far as your intestines go.  You can continue to take Nsaids if you need too, rny you cannot. If you are still undecided perhaps you should postpone your surgery until you know it is the right choice.  No one can tell you that surgery is going to guarantee a happy result, but I can certainly guarantee doing nothing about your weight is going to guarantee an unhappy result eventually.  Being 150lbs overweight WILL catch up with you as health problems, maybe not today or tomorrow but it will.  Personally the pain of being overweight, I mean the physical pain everywhere was the one thing that amazed me when it just stopped, I could walk all day and it didn't hurt anymore.  Being off my diabetes meds was my goal, but losing half my weight was amazing.  I am 7 years out post open rny, if I had a do-over I always think I might change to a DS, but honestly outside of no Nsaids I can't imagine I would be happier with another surgery any more.  The problem is no one can tell you which will work the best for you, because we are not you.  Only you can decide what you need and when is the right time to have surgery, if ever.

Good Luck.
AKelley1981
on 5/26/12 6:44 am - OH
thank you everyone, I am just worried,.
and Kelly, it gives me diariaha. I have not had it yet today, maybe my body is just getting use to it. I guess I am more for the sleeve because they are no rerouting anything. Just taking away from me.
poet_kelly
on 5/26/12 7:13 am - OH
Are you making the shakes with milk?  Do you normally drink that much milk?  Sounds like it might be an issue of too much lactose.  If you make your shakes with soy milk or water, that might solve the problem.  (I'd go for soy milk, I think they taste better that way than with water).

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

JJ_
on 5/26/12 12:06 pm
I was instructed to use Metamucil (capsule form) 3 to 5 capsules PER SHAKE to help with the loose bowels.  Liquid in, liquid out.  The Metamucil helps firm things up.

Judy
lucybarreto
on 5/26/12 8:27 am
Hi my name is Lucy Barreto, I am so sorry you are going through so much confusion.   I had the RNY Nov 30th of 09, and I was just as nerves as you were before I had the surgery.   I was weighing 260 lbs when I had the surgery, and it was a chance that I took and with all surgery no matter what it is it is a chance you are taking.  If I had to make the decision again, I would of went with the lapband because I lost so much weight I looked sick, but mind you that i am in my 40"s so I did not need to look so skinny.  Also my insurance did not pay for reconstruction surgery so I have skin hanging from my arms and some from my belly.  with the RNY you lose body fat quickly where as for the lapband it goes down gradually.  I don't know what the GBS is but you need to research what the effects are so you could make the right decision.  It is important to know what you getting yourself into before you do it cause you don't want to have any regrets ok.  so don't panic cause once you make your decisoin you will feel good about yourself ok.  I have gained some weight back so I look a lot better but i am happy I did the surgery cause i feel so much healthier then I did before , I could do more now then I could ever.  You just do what you think is going to be good for you and if you are not sure listen to your doctor if he is a good one ok,  If you need to talk some more just reply back and I will talk to you ok.  Good Luck with your choice but remember read about what you are gong to do,
MsBatt
on 5/26/12 9:17 am
I simply can't recommend the Band to anyone. Over the years I've seen too many people irreversably harmed by the Band, and countless others having to be revised to a different form of WLS---so let's just take that off that table, shall we?

That leaves THREE different forms of WLS to choose from---the VSG/Sleeve, the RNY/gastric bypass, and the DS/duodenal switch.

All three of these restrict the amount of food you can eat at one time. That's ALL the Sleeve does, since there's no malabsorption. (Well, it also seems to curb hunger for most folks, since it removes the part of the stomach that produces the hunger hormone, ghrelin.) However, it does preserve the pylorus and all normal stomach function, and allows you to take NSAIDs. The RNY/gastric bypass does NOT.

The RNY restricts how much you can eat---restricts it quite at bit, at least in the beginning. And it causes you to malabsorb both calories and vitamins/minerals, for the first 18-24 months. After that, all you malabsorb significantly are vitamins and minerals.

The DS is basically the Sleeve plus an intestinal bypass similar to, but greater than, that of the RNY. The DS causes dramatic, permanent metabolic changes, and permanent malabsorption of calories, especially calories from fat. The DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats.

Until you understand all three procedures and are 100% certain you're getting the one that's the best for YOU, have no WLS at all. It's far better to delay your surgery NOW than to be back in a couple of years, regretting your choice and looking for a revision. You might want to visit the Revision board, here:www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/

I can't offer you any advice with the shakes---I've never used them.

Most Active