Skewed lab results

Stephanie G.
on 5/26/12 1:43 am - San Antonio, TX
I'm six months out from RNY and got my lab results yesterday.  My iron and vitamin D are both less than half of normal.  How common is this?  I know I have to add both to my pile of pills/vitamins, but I was trying to get a clearer sense of how common this is.  Should I be worried?

Thanks for any feedback!
poet_kelly
on 5/26/12 2:31 am - OH
Very common, especially if you haven't been taking those vitamins.  The ASMBS recommends all RNY patients take iron starting as soon as they have surgery.

How low is your vitamin D?  We need it to be at least 80, according to the Linus Pauling Institute.  I recommend adding big doses of D3.  Make sure it's D3, and that it's dry, like a dry tablet or capsule with powdery stuff inside, not in oil.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Stephanie G.
on 5/26/12 2:55 am - San Antonio, TX
I have been taking the bariatric calcium/vitamin D chews and a chewable multivitamin with iron since surgery.  My vitamin D is 20.2 (normal is 30-100, my doctor wants it over 40) and my serum ferritin is 20.  Actually, I feel better because I see that normal ferritin is 13-150, but my doctor says she wants it up over 40.

Thanks.
poet_kelly
on 5/26/12 5:15 am - OH
Research shows that if your D is below 80, you don't absorb calcium well and are at increased risk for heart disease, osteoporosis and some kinds of cancer.  Yours is dangerously low.

Most RNY patients need 10,000 IU D3 a day to maintain a level of 80, but you would need more than that to get your level up.

20 is pretty low for ferritin.  What was your iron level?  what kind of iron do you take and how much?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Stephanie G.
on 5/26/12 5:36 am - San Antonio, TX
My serum iron is 75, so that's supposed to be good.  I've not been taking separate iron, only what's in my multivitamin.  (I bought the one my MD suggested.)  I will be going to the surgeon's office to buy bariatric iron and megadose D on Tuesday.   They recommend chewable 60 mg iron and D3 50,000 units weekly. 

This has startled me because I thought I was doing so well.  I was concerned about my B vitamins because I already had a history of them being low.  But I'm above the grade on those.  Yay me.  :)
Most Active