I hate exercise - how did YOU get motivated?

Neen L.
on 5/30/12 12:20 am - Arlington, VA
Goals can be helpful! I've always wanted to do Warrior Dash (www.warriordash.com), so I signed up for a race in the fall and am using that to motivate me to get out of bed and on the elliptical (or outside running if it's nice) in the morning. There are other themed races that look pretty funny, like Run For Your Lives and the Color Run.

On the elliptical, I can watch hilariously bad television and ignore the fact that I'm huffing, puffing and sweaty.

When I'm grumpy and not motivated, I think "I can tolerate anything for a half-hour." Realizing that you'll be done in less than the span of time it would take to watch an average prime time show puts it in perspective.

I've also gotten into the habit of getting a few groceries when I walk to get coffee on the weekends. I pack up 10-20 lbs. of stuff in my backpack and walk it back up the hill. Great cardio, and productive because I usually need the stuff anyway. Just remember to bring a hand towel or two to wrap anything you don't want to bruise, like bananas.

And finally, I'm sorry about your shoulder. I was a competitive swimmer as well for a long time and did end up having an operation to repair my entirely torn rotator cuff. It sucked, but my mom made me a sling out of swim suit material so that I could still go in the pool and do kicking drills with a kick board. That might be worth a shot for you.

Long-term post-ops with regain struggles, click here to see some steps for getting back on track (without the 5-day pouch fad or liquid diet): http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/bananafish711/blog/2013/04/05/don-t-panic--believe-and-you-will-succeed-/

Always cooking at www.neensnotes.com!

Need a pick-me-up? Read this: http://www.lettersofnote.com/2009/10/it-will-be-sunny-one-day.html

(deactivated member)
on 5/30/12 3:15 am
On May 30, 2012 at 7:20 AM Pacific Time, Neen C. wrote:
Goals can be helpful! I've always wanted to do Warrior Dash (www.warriordash.com), so I signed up for a race in the fall and am using that to motivate me to get out of bed and on the elliptical (or outside running if it's nice) in the morning. There are other themed races that look pretty funny, like Run For Your Lives and the Color Run.

On the elliptical, I can watch hilariously bad television and ignore the fact that I'm huffing, puffing and sweaty.

When I'm grumpy and not motivated, I think "I can tolerate anything for a half-hour." Realizing that you'll be done in less than the span of time it would take to watch an average prime time show puts it in perspective.

I've also gotten into the habit of getting a few groceries when I walk to get coffee on the weekends. I pack up 10-20 lbs. of stuff in my backpack and walk it back up the hill. Great cardio, and productive because I usually need the stuff anyway. Just remember to bring a hand towel or two to wrap anything you don't want to bruise, like bananas.

And finally, I'm sorry about your shoulder. I was a competitive swimmer as well for a long time and did end up having an operation to repair my entirely torn rotator cuff. It sucked, but my mom made me a sling out of swim suit material so that I could still go in the pool and do kicking drills with a kick board. That might be worth a shot for you.

Oh my goodness, I really like this post.  I don't post often because I don't like most posts here.  But I really seriously like and enjoy this post.  You are 100% correct!

LIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Most Active