I hate exercise - how did YOU get motivated?

grisaille
on 5/28/12 7:07 am - NC
I am 3 months outa and been through 2 stricture stretchings so I have spent a lot of time nauseated and vomiting  . . . .although that is all cleared up now, thank goodness 

Pre-op I didn't exercise at all but somehow I thought post-op I would somehow get all this motivation as I lost weight . . . . but I STILL hate it just as much.  I have tried walking in the neighborhood, my recumbent bike and water aerobics (twice) and not liked any of them,  Of course, even when I was not heavy (up until my twenties) I really didn't like any exercise either.  My only excuses are a torn rotar cuff in one shoulder (which limits actual swimming which I used to like) and a bad knee (will probably get a cortisone shot this next week) which flares up repeatedly. 

Are there any other exercise-resistant folks out there and what did you do to overcome it?

HW 369  SW 369 GW 199
SueBee01
on 5/28/12 7:49 am - Orange Park, FL
Lap Band on 01/30/12
I typically don't like exercise because I just don't like it and because I have bad knees, hip and ankles so it is usually painful. I just knew that I had to find something if I wanted to lose weight!

I found a water aerobics class and found it robe painless! Then to keep me going, the ladies are really nice, and several of them are there for the same reason. I really like it now and spend about five days in the pool.

When I couldn't go to the pool I needed something else to do. I tried the local gym, but that didn't work with the pain. I went to the sporting goods store and bought a little pedal machine and since I am a tv freak in front of the tv and pedal away! I am now working out every day.

I don't like to walk because it is boring to me. Although i would love to be able to take my dog for a walk. Hopefully soon!

My doctor said do anything for any amount of time to get you started. He didn't care if it was 10 minutes, if so, do it a couple times a day.

I like to play golf but didn't think that was good exercise. He said, it keeps you out of the kitchen for 5 hours!
 Sue

paranoidmother21
on 5/28/12 7:51 am - Lake Zurich, IL
I just did it.

Eventually, and yes, it took pushing myself out the door for a few weeks, I discovered that I was sleeping better, waking easier, and enjoying the movement.

At this point, I've started figure skating, and I really enjoy that. I'm going to start running (very little in comparison with how much I walk) next week to help my endurance for skating.

Pretty much, you just have to push yourself, which is no fun.
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

MsBatt
on 5/28/12 8:19 am
I don't do 'formal' exercise. I do things that I enjoy, like dancing, working in my garden, playing with my dogs, etc. The only way you'll ever stick to an exercise program is if you find something that you actually enjoy.
(deactivated member)
on 5/30/12 3:18 am
On May 28, 2012 at 3:19 PM Pacific Time, MsBatt wrote:
I don't do 'formal' exercise. I do things that I enjoy, like dancing, working in my garden, playing with my dogs, etc. The only way you'll ever stick to an exercise program is if you find something that you actually enjoy.

MsBatt... I lub you soooo much!  I want to enjoy watching you dance or playing with your dogs.

I'll trade you some 4 leaf clovers (when I get them back) for something, anything from your garden. okayyyy, I will send you the clovers anyway.  But if you have tomatoes, I would love you.  ;o)

Did I mention I will pay shipping?  Just wanted to throw it out there.  ;o)))))))))))))))))))))

PS.. read your PMs please.
MsBatt
on 5/30/12 8:52 am
On May 30, 2012 at 10:18 AM Pacific Time, BriannasLosing wrote:
On May 28, 2012 at 3:19 PM Pacific Time, MsBatt wrote:

MsBatt... I lub you soooo much!  I want to enjoy watching you dance or playing with your dogs.

I'll trade you some 4 leaf clovers (when I get them back) for something, anything from your garden. okayyyy, I will send you the clovers anyway.  But if you have tomatoes, I would love you.  ;o)

Did I mention I will pay shipping?  Just wanted to throw it out there.  ;o)))))))))))))))))))))

PS.. read your PMs please.
I didn't say I danced WELL, LOL! BUt the dogs are pretty. (*grin*)

I've given up on tomatoes, alas. The last couple of years I've lost about 7 out of ten 'maters to blossom-end rot, and I'm told it's in my soil. Unless I gt really work-brickle and dig a new bed, I'll have to rely on the farmer's market for my mater 'fix' this summer.

I have a TON of marigold and zinnia seeds, though. Those should like your climate!
Valerie G.
on 5/28/12 8:56 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 I get bored with most types of "organized exercise".  With the warm weather arrival, I like to do things with purpose that involve physical activity, be it walking the dog, shopping, gardening, etc.  I have to have a goal in mind besides just being active.  As you drop the pounds, you'll likely enjoy outdoor activities much more.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

grisaille
on 5/28/12 9:10 am - NC
I am more of a solitary person when it comes to doing stuff - that is why group water aerobics didn't appeal to me. I would love to swim again but want to have my shoulder checked out again to make sure I wouldn't be doing any major damage beyond some soreness. I've been told I need a whole new shoulder but I want a second opinion. I have located the doctor I want to consult. Swimming would be my first choice - used to do it competively when I was younger (and thinner)

HW 369  SW 369 GW 199
paranoidmother21
on 5/29/12 12:13 am - Lake Zurich, IL
Well, there's part of your answer right there.

I don't know any sport done competitively that didn't also involve off-whatever **** water, you name it) conditioning.  Start with whatever you did to get ready for swim season or to loosen up and stretch before swimming, and keep reminding yourself that this is to prepare you FOR swimming once you get the shoulder checked out.  That's why I'm starting to run - I need more endurance for skating.  I don't particularly like running, but I do like when I can skate harder/longer, so I do it.
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

Caitlyn_Cat
on 5/28/12 10:20 am
I will probably never really like exercise, but I make myself do it because I do feel so much better afterwards. Like you, I'm not much of a joiner, but I do the treadmill, exercise bike, and elliptical with my iPad propped up in front of me as I watch movies or read books. Now I'm actually developing muscles, which is as cool as it is unexpected. Just gotta do it.

Height: 5'5" / HW: 223 / SW: 196 / GW: 125 reached 12/22/2011 / CW: 121    
Most Active