Coping with Setbacks

CelticSoul
on 5/28/12 10:59 am
On 5/7/12 (GBS was 4/3/12) I began to have problems with swallowing food and liquids.  By 5/8/12 I became extremely dehydrated and went to the ER.  I was rehydrated, given pain meds and Zofran & Pepcid and released with the caution that I must begin to take in adequate fluids.  The doctor had suggested I be admitted but, I was reticent and wanted to try at home.  Needless to say, by Sunday 5/10/12 it was clear I wasn't able to hydrate and nourish properly.  Once back in the ER, it was determined that I would be admitted and a clear diagnosis would have to be made.  On Tuesday I had an UGI and we found that I had healed 'too tightly' where the "feeding tube" connects to the small bowel.  It was not a FORMAL stricture as that involves the pouch but, I required another laparoscopy ASAP.  Surgery on 5/15/12 was successful and I am drinking and eating with much more ease.  The downside to all this was I gained about 12 lbs of fluid due to the non-stop IV hydration.  That was very disappointing and frustrating when I got home.  Happily most all of the weight was lost within a week and I am back on track now.  Everything about this process is a learning experience.  There was nothing that I could have done to avoid this problem.  So, once again, I've begun my journey.  For all those that have setbacks-don't be too hard on yourself and know that things will sort themselves out in time and you will regain your footing. 
Best regards to all,
Celtie

MsBatt
on 5/28/12 1:14 pm
Sounds like a classic stricture to me. Your stoma, the man-made opening between the pouch and the small intestine, had scared too much and restricted the passage of foods and liquids from the pouch. I question why they didn't 'scope you the first time you went to the ER---at 4 weeks post-op, you were at the prime time to develop a stricture.

But now you know the symptoms. Hopefully you won't need another dilation, but if you do you'll know what's happening.
Most Active