Purging of the Clothes - How did YOU feel?

caroletee
on 6/3/12 12:57 am
Memorial Day has come and gone - time for me to switch out the winter clothes for the summer ones.  Actually - there was not going to be any switching - purging is more like it. It was so strange to take things out and sort into the "give to my family" pile or "give to charity". NOTHING was going up into the attic to be stored until next fall. And when I cleared out the trunk in the attic of my summer clothes - I couldn't keep ANYTHING to wear this summer.

I should be thrilled - delighted - feeling free -

but

Can someone please explain to me why I found it so sad/upset?

I'm still trying to figure out why I feel this way - All those piles waiting to be bagged (I am not a big clothes horse - but I have a pretty robust assortment - work clothes - casual clothes - garden clothes - coats - jackets - work out... lol)

Anyone have any ideas? How did you feel?

MyLady Heidi
on 6/3/12 1:02 am
I was beyond thrilled, I couldn't wait to get rid of my old big clothes and now that I am 7 years out I refuse to gain and buy bigger clothes, I either diet or I wear tight clothes and feel miserable.  It's personal though, how you feel is how you feel.
PaulaS
on 6/3/12 2:01 am - TX
I had mixed emotions!    Super glad to get rid of the large sizes, but some of the items I REALLY liked and was so sorry they no longer fit.   
I have a few jackets I have hung on to that are too large, but they are not fitted pieces and I still slip them in sometimes.  
The plus side is you get all new clothes - the down side is you have to buy all new clothes.
Take the time to buy items that build a mixable wardrobe.   I so wish I had done that! 
My main objective it seemed was to buy clothes that fit at an affordable (sale) price.   I did get some great bargins, but after years of being too fat to care, I really don't know how to put stuff together.

Happy shopping!

Highest weight, 248#
Surgery weight, 236#
Current weight, 138#
strwbryblnd
on 6/3/12 3:00 am - Salem, IL
I recently went through my closet and drawers for the second time. I am 9 months out of surgery and have lost 120 pounds so nearly everything went into the "give away" pile.  I have 5 large trash bags full of clothes , sizes 3X, 4X and 5X and none of them fit. I am beyond thrilled!  I can't afford a new wardrobe but I buy myself something from time to time and it is exhilarating!  I have had no qualms or sadness about getting rid of my "fat" clothes. 
I can only say that, perhaps, the great change from where you WERE to where you are now is such an emotional thing that it exhibits itself here.  You had to spend time and money acquiring all that clothing and now that it is being given away, it is strange.   Try and think of it this way... with every piece of your old clothing you get rid of, you are shedding that old life and opening the way for your new and wonderful life.  I keep butterflies around.. wind chimes, pictures, whatever..to remind myself that I am coming out of my cocoon and blossoming into my new life.  I do hope the very best for you as you proceed along that same path.  Keep your chin up!! 

PoohHag
on 6/3/12 3:03 am - TN
VSG on 06/11/12
 I know when I lost 70 pounds once before that I grieved over my lost clothes.  Clothes are an extension of your personality and have experienced a lot of life with you.  It's natural to feel a loss.  

Take the time to remember what some of the pieces mean to you.  Then pass them on to new "good homes" and make new memories in your new clothes.

martitalinda
on 6/3/12 3:38 am
 Beyond thrilled.... I STILL PURGE CLOTHES AND SHOES EACH AND EVERY DAY ... just got through packing a box with awesome dresses and gowns and lovely heels for an OH sista and sending it off... WOOT!!!!  Paying it forward in any way possible is awesome and liberating and feels soooooooooooooooooo good.... 

Even at maintenance weight ... I keep a few pieces for comparison and maintenance... I keep the ones that are sewed to my measurements and I pass on the other .... that way I can replenish ... I am loving it!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

autumnsiggy2RNY 2/5/07 no regain having implemented lifestyle changes....

MARIA F.
on 6/3/12 4:10 am - Athens, GA

Instead of giving to "charity", why not arrainge a WLS clothing exchange in your area? They are always lots of fun. It's also a great opportunity to network with other WLS'ers. We have one in Atl. a couple of times a yr. We sometimes meet for lunch after the event. This way you might look forward to giving them away instead of being sad about it. :-)

FormerlyFluffy.com

datorres
on 6/3/12 4:18 am
 I was really sad when I got rid of all my clothes. I am a clothes person and had lots, it was almost like a friend! lol but I got past it and am happy now not to have to buy 22/24 anymore. I still have people as me what I did with all my clothes because I had lots and I still dressed nice all the time even though I was big.
caroletee
on 6/3/12 4:48 am
I think seeing all those piles of "the old me" really brought home that "I am doing it - I took a huge step and it's actually working!"

How many times I've dieted and lost a little only to gain it all back in half the time. I think I was even a little afraid - "What if I gain it all back and need these things again???" like I've done before.

But I'm making all the right changes and leaving those unhealthy ways behind.

Thank you all for your kind replies - I found each response incredibly helpful -
Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 6/3/12 8:38 am
 makes sense you would feel sad if you have happy memories of those clothes. give yourself time to get over it and buy new clothes - that's even better, frankly.

change can be very hard -  time is the answer.

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

Most Active