Discount Cards for us when we go "out" to eat.

Robyn J.
on 6/11/12 6:26 am - apple valley, MN
I am just over a year post -op, so I am in the stage I can eat everything that is with in the rules and that agrees with me. So we have started going out to resturants. Well I want to order from the kids menu and most places will not let me. I can't eat the full size meal and left overs from resturants just don't seem to agree with me.

So I propose our wonderful surgions give us some sort of card that entitles us "child like" eaters to the kids menu and not to have to purchase a drink!

Anyone else with me?
fawnracene
on 6/11/12 6:48 am
RNY on 06/06/12
 My surgeon gave me one. To show restaurants so I can order off the child menu or get discounted smaller menu items. Call their office and ask if they do?
southernlady5464
on 6/11/12 6:52 am
I wouldn't want one...I do NOT want the people in restaurants to know I've had surgery...it is none of their business.

Just split a meal or leave it on your plate if you don't want to take home the leftovers. Or take them home for others in the house to eat. As far as drinks...in most places, water is still free.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

sam1am
on 6/11/12 9:02 am
Ditto what Liz said.

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

(deactivated member)
on 6/11/12 7:13 am - WA
I have one but do not use it anymore because of the WTF looks on the waitress faces as they not too quietly asked the manager to come over and have me explain it again so everyone in the place would know what I was saying and stare and whisper. I got the WTF faces like I was trying to pull some shady deal and scam them out of some rule they have.  But if you want one you could ask your doctor.
Dave Chambers
on 6/11/12 7:20 am - Mira Loma, CA
My surgeon offered those cards, and I tried to use them a few times. Out of 5 attemts, I got one place to honor them. It likely either depends on the restuarant policy or a establisment management decision.  It's far easier to either pay for an additional plate and share an adult meal, or order from the individual items.  When you order a full meal for yourself, ask for a "to go box" at the same time. Leave your designated meal portions on your plate, and put EVERYTHING else in the box. You'll have a lunch or dinner for the following day.  Dave

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

TRISH S.
on 6/11/12 7:51 am
VSG on 07/03/12
Same here, I already have mine. You should definitely check with your surgeon's office for one.
poet_kelly
on 6/11/12 7:59 am - OH
You can get such a card.  google it and you should find some online you can print out, or you can just make your own.  There is nothing "official" and restaurants do not have to honor the cards.  Some do and some don't. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

poet_kelly
on 6/11/12 8:00 am - OH
Oh, and I've never been to a restaurant where customers were required to order a drink.  I don't know why you'd need a special card to avoid ordering one.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Jo 1962
on 6/11/12 8:39 am - NearHouston, TX
Just a thought but ...every "child's menu" I remember seeing usually has horrible dietary choices (chicken nuggets, corn dog, hot dog, fries, etc) so I can't imagine wanting to order from it myself.
Another thing, why is it fair to the restaurant owner to discount me with the that card?   If I don't want to take leftovers home with me, I order from the appetizer menu and get a salad (or other choice) on the side.   Now that i'm more concious of what's going in my mouth, I am not hesitant
to ask the waiter for substitutions to get the meal *I* want to enjoy.  All they can do is say no, right?

5.0 cc in a 10cc lapband  (four  fills) 1 unfill of .5cc  on 5/24/2011.
.5 fill  March 2012. unfill of .25cc May 2012.  Unfill of .5cc June 2014.

Still with my lapband with no plans for revision. Band working well since

last small unfill.

HW: 267lbs- size 22-24  LW:194lbs  CW:198lbs  Size 14-16

Most Active