BCBS Preadmission Certification

gina828
on 6/15/12 3:43 am - Prattville, AL
What is it?  Do I take care of it or does the doctor's office do it?
Thanks
debbie13
on 6/15/12 3:49 am - Cossayuna, NY
 Best thing to do is call them. I have Empire Blue (its a NY division) and my doctor's office did everything. Only thing I did was call and very the insurance company's requirements so there were no surprises. 

"The road to health will have speed bumps, pot holes, stop signs and asshole drivers that cut you off... but with WLS, never doubt that you will get there."

Resolve never to quit, never to give up, no matter what the situation.--- Jack Nicklaus

gina828
on 6/15/12 3:51 am - Prattville, AL
sorry, i actually posted this in the wrong place.
anewbeginning2012
on 6/15/12 4:54 am - IN
RNY on 10/01/12
I have BCBS of ky. The docs office does everything. The only thing I had to do was call them initially to find out if they for sure covered it.
Diana M.
on 6/15/12 10:30 am - TX
VSG on 07/12/12
A preadmission certification is like a preapproval for a loan. Basically, it's the insurance agreeing that there is a reason to admit you to the hospital outside of an emergency situation.

Your doctor will need to submit for the certification, it isn't something you can do. Basically he/she will send a little form giving the reason for the admission, and the insurance company will review it, then approve or deny. Typically, they approve any time there is a medically necessary surgery being done, so I wouldn't worry too much. But what I would do, to speed things along, is make sure that you know when it's been submitted by your doctor's office, then follow up with the insurance to make sure it's being reviewed in a timely manner.
Most Active