XPOST. Almost 2 yrs. Out pain issue like Charlie Horse in stomach

bekahler
on 6/19/12 1:48 am - Parkville, MD
I am almost 2 yrs out and the past 2 months I have been having rt side pain near an incision site that can best be described as almost like a charlie horse but in my stomach. It is like a horrific muscle spasm, that you can see the ropey knot that forms and I have to press down and massage it out.  It can happen if I bend over or twist the wrong way..but it can also happen if I can sitting completely still.

It is incredibly painful..but if I am able to bend the opposite way I can get the spasm to stop but the residual pain in the area lasts for days afterward and radiates in my entire rt quadrant and wraps around towards my rt kidney.

I have had every test under the sun run..CT, 3 ultra sounds, and a HIDA scan.

It is NOT the following: my gallbladder, a kidney stone, anything GYN related, or a hernia at an incision site.

My surgeon has chalked the whole thing up to adhesion's and has told me to go see a pain management doctor for trigger point injections, which I will do but I wanted to at least ask here and see if anyone else is dealing with this sort of issue.

I hesitated to post this because I dont want to scare anyone from getting the VSG as I don't think this is VSG related per say..but more the result or complication that could happen from any lap. abdominal surgery.

I have upped my magnesium and potassium..in hopes that this may help.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as this issue has really stared to impact my quality of life. These "attacks" are happening at least once a week and the residual pain last for days afterward.

Hopefully someone on here will have some magic answer I havent been able to come up with.
"There are no Strangers Here, Only Unmet Friends" ~Helen Keller        

RPick67
on 6/19/12 3:33 am
VSG on 06/11/13

I have had the same thing happen to me at two different times in my life.  When they happened I was terrified the muscle would not relax.  It is a horrible experience.  I wish I could help you out on what caused them or how to prevent them.  There are only two things that I can definately say about them....#1 When I went through the periods of having them I was dieting.   #2  They always happened when my muscles contracted in some way...Like sitting scrunches up your ab muscles.  I was sitting in church one day and leaned forward to grab a hymn book and there it went....it took everything I had not to just slide in the floor or stand up (which if I had done that everyone would have known something was wrong from they way I stood and the look on my face.)  If you are actively losing weight and especially if you are eating mainly protein.......you DEFINATLEY need to make sure you are taking in enough water, more than you think you need and my geuss is it does have to do with an electrolyte imbalance.  I should have went and had labs done when this happened to me but I didn't.  Change your diet, add a few more carbs, definately drink alot more water and take the potassium and mag.  Like I said earlier, my experience is that it only happens when I am Dieting.

Cons. Wt. 394       Surg. Wt. 386        Curr. Wt.  311

Ladytazz
on 6/19/12 3:47 am
I was having the same type of thing happen except it was in my intestines but it didn't feel like a normal intestinal cramp but a charley horse type cramp.  Is this in a muscle, stomach or intestine?  I never found out what caused mine and they completely stopped with my revision.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

MyLady Heidi
on 6/19/12 3:54 am, edited 6/19/12 3:55 am
Read up on Petersen Hernia and see if those symptoms fit.
H.A.L.A B.
on 6/20/12 12:13 am, edited 6/20/12 12:14 am
I had thing like that. based on the symptoms - my doc diagnosed a hernia even though the cat-scan did not show anything abnormal.  The surgery (lap) was done eventually (when i was ready to be under again- and it was a huge hernia. He fix it - removed some adhesion that formed and ... I have been doing OK since then. Some adhesion are normal - and some people are more prone to them than others - but some adhesion may make the bowel to twist and obstruct the blood flow - causing pain.  Sometime sthe doc may chose to go in and fix that - but that may casue more adhesion later.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active