Two Weeks Post-Op but now have a Kidney Infection?

cathey9338
on 7/7/12 9:15 am - Woodbridge, VA
RNY on 06/19/12 with
After spending six hours at the ER in the wee middle of the night last night... turns out I have a kidney infection.  The ER dr didn't know a ton about gastric bypass and my surgery on call dr simply said it's not unusual.

I have been drinking a minimum of 32 oz of water daily since surgery and the days I "only" get 32oz are the exception... mostly I'm above 64oz every day.  I've not yet introduced the protein drinks (that's a scolding for another day) so I can't imagine that I've pushed the "too much protein" barrier I've read about.

I've mentioned to several folks (drs, nurses, patient care advocate, dietician, other post-surgery friends, anyone who would listen!)  "man my left side/back really  reallyhurts" and it's always been chalked up to typical surgery pain - everyone's left side/back hurts after surgery. 

It wasn't until I was having trouble breathing because of the sharp pains, & the hyrdomorphone wasn't touching the pain, that the on-call dr sent me to the ER - not because of my kidneys but to make sure I didn't have blood clots.

I just keep wondering how I know when the pain is typical post-surgery pain and when it really might be something different.  I've had this pain for well over a week.

My question is how common is this really?  Any idea what I could have done to prevent it?  Is my dr a jack wagon for just chalking it up to "normal pain" or did I miss the boat in how I articulated my pain to him?  (Or neither - just is what it is?)

cathey9338
on 7/7/12 9:17 am - Woodbridge, VA
RNY on 06/19/12 with
PS.  My back pain is the ONLY symptom.  My "ladies room" activities are flawless & painless.  No fever.  A slight elevated nausea reaction to smells in the last few days but only slight.

happymomma307
on 7/7/12 10:29 am - OH
I'm pretty sure they are common risk of any surgery because of the catheter.

lizlosjourney
on 7/8/12 4:55 am - Temple City, CA
RNY on 06/20/12
 Hi. Was reading forums and notice you had your RNY June 19 this year. I had mine June 20, 2012.  Lasgt few days have felt great.Today I really feel hungry. Having some instant Vege Miso soup. Drinking shakes. Tomorrow can try yogurt and gotta check my list.

How are you oing?

Thanks, Liz
Hislady
on 7/7/12 12:21 pm - Vancouver, WA
They are very common in us ladies because of how our anatomy is set up. Vaginal area so close to anal area, bacteria spreads easily. Probably has nothing to do with your surgery at all, if it's in your kidney it's probably been around for awhile already as a UTI. I'm like you no symptoms in the ladies parts just back pain so they always tell me nope can't be a UTI or kidney infection. Well I've proved 'em wrong more than once. Hopefully they gave you meds and it should clear up soon.
Dave Chambers
on 7/7/12 12:33 pm - Mira Loma, CA
I must "just be lucky" but I ended up with a UTI about a few months post op. I had pain for a while until I finally decided to go to urgent care. Urine test showed blood.  I found out I could take CIPRO due to severe diarrhea, so the urgent care doc put me on Bactrim. In a few days everything was fine. Only incident of this type since my RNY over 6 years ago. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Valerie G.
on 7/8/12 3:50 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Kidney stones are most common from what I've seen out here because of (a) not enough fluids and (b) taking wrong kind of calcium.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active