MORE INFO

starry957
on 7/9/12 1:22 pm
Hi all:
Just wondered if someone could tell me some websites I could peruse to get more info/facts/research on WLS....I'm looking for more specific info (I live in Ontario if that changes anything?)...ONE of the things I'm wondering about is the comparisons in size of the stomach pouch in DS, RNY and VSG....(I think people speak in cc's?)

Thanks so much! 
Kerry

January 8th, 2013 - VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan (St Joe's Toronto)

MsBatt
on 7/9/12 2:38 pm
There's not really a 'standard' size for stomach pouches---it seems each surgeon has his or her own ideas about what's best. And technically, only the RNY has a 'pouch'---both the DS and the VSG retain the pylorus and all normal stomach function. It's really just a very small stomach, not a pouch.

I've heard the RNY pouch described as being the size of an egg, a golf ball, a grape, and your thumb. To me, there seems to be a lot of difference between the size of *my* thumb and the average egg. (*grin*)

I have an older DS---got it done 8.5 years ago, and my surgical notes says it was made to hold 3-5 ounces, about typical of that time. Today, surgeons are making Sleeves MUCH smaller than that, especially when they're a stand-alone WLS, rather than the top half of the DS---but I do think the DS sleeves are larger than the VSG sleeves.

But Sleeves do stretch over time. I still have restriction, but not as much as I did the first year or so. I can comfortably eat a small salad, an 8-ounce ribeye, a few bites of baked potato, a yeast roll, and drink a glass of tea. Sometimes I can even hold some dessert!

It's the common channel that's usually spoken of in ccs. The average person has a small intestine of 6-7 meters long. In the proximal RNY, about 1-1.5 meters of that is bypassed. In comparison, most DS surgeons actually measure the individual patient's small intestine and determine limb lengths based on the Hess method, so everyone is different.
Casey A.
on 7/9/12 11:52 pm
RNY on 09/27/17
hello, there are SO many websites out there for information. Try Google, plus you could get some really great info on here as well. Sorry I can't give you something more specific, but like I said try Google, that's how I've done my research. Good Luck...
Diminishing Dawn
on 7/10/12 2:10 am - Windsor, Canada
 http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/on/a,messageboard/

Is a place you should visit 

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

starry957
on 7/10/12 7:04 am
ha ha...I think what I'm trying to ask is for specific, MEDICAL research/data/findings that might be provided by those other than who have had the surgery....more info from those who DO the surgery, etc...
lol

January 8th, 2013 - VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan (St Joe's Toronto)

Most Active