Gas

jujubar56
on 7/14/12 9:03 am - Lubbock, TX
I have really bad smelling gas. I'm 10 mo out and wondering if this is normal?
MsBatt
on 7/14/12 10:45 am
Most people can control their gas issues by watching what they eat. Do you drink milk? Eat refined flour products, like bread and pasta? Do you eat yogurt, or take any sort of probiotics?

When food isn't completely digested, there's more 'food' for the bacteria that naturally live in our gut. This can lead to the balance between the 'good' bacteria and the 'bad' bacteria getting out of whack. Probiotics give us more of the 'good' bacteria, and sometimes that's all we need. Other times, we need a round of an antibiotic like Flagyl to kill off the bad bactria, then probiotics to re-supply us with the good bacteria. Talk to your doctor about this.

A lot of people become lactose intolerant after WLS, and this can cause some really NASTY gas. Most people who are lactose intolerance can eat cheese, but not drink milk. You might want to look at your food log and see just how much lactose you're taking in.

And sugar and white flour are well known for causing gas. Take a good look at just how much of these you're really getting.

And if all else fails, there's always Devrom!
Valerie G.
on 7/14/12 11:07 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Yes, this is normal, but more controllable than you think right now.  The biggest triggers for gas are:

1) simple carbs 
2) lactose intolerance (may include whey protein too)
3) bacterial overgrowth in your bowels, which can be controlled by adding probiotics, either in pill form, or I do well with a daily bit of yogurt. (being 10 mos out, I'm guessing this may be it)
4) artificial sweeteners (watch labels for ones that end in 'tol-- malitol, sorbitol, etc.)

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Linda_S
on 7/15/12 10:56 am - Eugene, OR
My problem isn't the smell, it's the noise!  I take a med called acarbose, which blocks absorption of carbohydrates (even though I do my best not to eat many) because I have severe reactive hypoglycemia.  The result?  GAS!  I told my doc that it gets so bad that even the dog is looking at me as though to say, "ma, would you please knock it off?  That's disgusting!"  I carry around a hefty supply of Gas-X with me.  I tried taking Bean-o until I discovered that it works by helping you to digest carbs, so I was working at cross purposes.  

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

jujubar56
on 7/15/12 4:28 pm - Lubbock, TX
I have been using wheyin my protien drinks and eating too much bread so I gonna try that and also try that  try the diovan. So we'll see thanks everybody. 
Most Active