RTD protein shake with NO vitamin K? Take warfarin.

fattynNC
on 7/17/12 8:09 am
DS on 08/28/12
Hi all,

Does anyone know of a chocolate ready-to-drink protein shake with no vitamin K that is suitable for a warfarin user?

Thanks in advance,
Wendy
Elaine2
on 7/17/12 10:42 am - Atlanta, GA
I asked the same question for the same reason about 2 years ago when I was looking for an RTD.   Couldn't find one.

So I discussed it with my NUT and person who does my monthly PT test. Their suggestion was to just select the RTD I wanted; use it consistently for 2 weeks; get tested to see if it impacted the numbers. That worked for me. I just stay consistent with my daily shake and my PT stays steady also.  It's difficult to avoid all K, that's for sure.

I use Lean Body by Labrada with Vit K @ 25% DV; but Premier and others are about the same, I think.

AngieB2011
on 7/17/12 1:40 pm - MD
VSG on 03/19/12
Ditto what Elaine said! Im on coumadin. I eat green leafy veggies etc. too.
Hislady
on 7/17/12 3:00 pm - Vancouver, WA
I agree with the others as long as it is something you use regularly it shouldn't impact your results too much. Like the OP said get your blood tested after a couple of weeks to see if there is any impact and they can adjust your dosage to accomodate. I've been on coumadin for over 20 yrs and eat anything I want. You would have to eat huge amounts for it to have a big impact on your blood work. So many people are scared to death by their docs about vitamin k and coumadin, some are afraid to even take a bite of brocolli for fear they will mess up their coumadin. As a rule it's not that touchy but do follow your docs suggestions for testing often.
Debbie R.
on 7/18/12 1:40 pm - Cedar Hill, TX
VSG on 02/27/12

I use Premier Protein RTD shakes all the time & I'm on Coumadin also. No problems here & I eat vegies
a few times a week too. Monthly PT/INR stable & just
decreased from 7.5 mg twice weekly & 5 mg the other 5 days to 7 days @ 5 mg/ day so loving my loss!!

Most Active