What is holding you back

Suzanne B.
on 7/22/12 3:25 pm, edited 7/22/12 3:26 pm - OR

Hi Everyone,

What is holding you back? We all have thought about having weight loss surgery over and over I am sure. I thought about it for 6 months before I actually said the words to anyone. I did so much research and wanted to learn all I could about it.

I was a self-pay because my insurance was never going to pay for it. I knew that I had tried many different things over the years. Only to ride the roller coaster of lose it and gain it back over and over. I had a disease and it is called obesity—just like so many of us have. I was not weak, I could follow the diet. What I have learned is that I am NO longer on a diet. I have made a lifestyle change for the rest of my life. I had my head in the right place and I was ready to have Weight Loss Surgery or as some of us refer to it as WLS.

I am sure you have been down this same road that I have been down. I am here to tell you that the VGS aka “sleeve" will work for you too. I also thought what if I am the “one" person that this will not work on? I bet you have had all these thoughts too. 

I am here to tell you it WILL work for you. You can NOT go back to your old style of eating habits—or you will fail. You can eat yummy and good foods. You will eat small amounts of them. You will crave & want healthy foods. Yes, I have small amount of desert now and then, but not every day and when I have some it is a sliver of what I used to eat. Sometimes just the taste of something is all you need to satisfy your need for it.

If you have any questions and have been sitting out there and want to know more, ask question please. There are so many of us on these boards who are more than happy to share our experience and answer all you questions. I had sleeve WLS 4 years ago, lost 105 pounds and have kept it off. It does require work on your part and some exercise is very helpful. I walk for exercise, and that is something that does not require a membership. Just a great pair of walking shoes and away you go. At first you really can’t walk that far, but as the weight starts dropping of you, it because much easier.

Honestly WLS is your answer to your disease that we called obesity. I happen to think that Dr. Aceves is the very best Doctor you can find to do your surgery. He is amazing, kind, caring, an excellent surgeon; he will be there for you every step of the way. He has gathered together an incredible staff that is there for you too.

Suzanne
Sleeved 10/21/2008
Lost 105 pounds    
Suzanne B
Eugene, OR
Dr. Aceves
10/21/2008 
Start lbs 225
Now 120
Diabolique
on 7/22/12 3:55 pm - Las Vegas, NV
RNY on 09/19/12
What held me back was the expense.  Knowing that it was worth the cost but not wanting to burn through my savings on yet another weigh loss program that would fail.
Problem was that my weight related medical problems were getting worse and I was/am unable to loop at myself in the mirror.
After doing the research and obtaining a more amiable insurance I realized that there was nothing holding me back and started the process.
Suzanne B.
on 7/23/12 12:55 am - OR
On July 22, 2012 at 10:55 PM Pacific Time, Diabolique wrote:
What held me back was the expense.  Knowing that it was worth the cost but not wanting to burn through my savings on yet another weigh loss program that would fail.
Problem was that my weight related medical problems were getting worse and I was/am unable to loop at myself in the mirror.
After doing the research and obtaining a more amiable insurance I realized that there was nothing holding me back and started the process.
Hi,

I know the cost of this surgery is a BIG thing, it was for me too, but I managed to save up enough along with what I had already saved and it was the very best money I ever spent on myself.  I have NO regrets.  Congratulations to you for having the courage to do the right thing to save your own life.  You are the hero! 

By the way in what I saved in doctor visits, eating less, not going out to eat as much, no more meds and a couple other things, it only took me 15 months of saving again to pay myself back. 

You have done something that you will never regret.  I am so happy for you.  Stay in touch. This will be a life changing journey.

Hugs,
Suzanne
Suzanne B
Eugene, OR
Dr. Aceves
10/21/2008 
Start lbs 225
Now 120
Losin-it
on 7/22/12 7:50 pm - TX
There are some people that can lose weight on their own drives. Like this guy. He dropped 200 lbs on his own.
http://video.foxnews.com/v/1747661398001/patriot-drops--pounds-to-join-army?intcmp=features

What I needed to realize is I WAS NOT THAT GUY! I'm a small business owner and my insurance was not going to cover my surgery. $9700 in this economy and another $9700 for my wife (coming up soon) is no small deal for the self employed But one has to ask themselves "what is your life worth"? For those on the fense about WLS ask yourself this question. Can you take the money with you when you die? It's only money. If you die 10 years sooner from medical issues caused from obesity would to pay $1000 per year to live healthy and full of life for an additional ten years? For me the answer was easy. I was 308 30 days ago and have already lost over 30 lbs. I don't weigh daily so I've not got an exact number but already I stopped taking pain meds for a bad hip. How much is my liver thanking me for that?

If your on the fense about weight lose surgery you obviously need it or you wouldn't likely be considering it. Take it from a guy that will total out at $20K for my wife and I to live a great life as we were meant to be, thin and vibrant!! Just get it done!! Change your relationship with food. Change your relationship with life!! You do not need to go through life heavy and bearing all the negatives this brings. You DO need to admit you haven't been able to do it by yourself. We're not all able to do that. I wasn't, my wife wasn't, and almost everyone on this forum wasn't. But take a look at the ones that went before us like Shagdoll and the many others. Look at the pre-op and post goal pictures and see the beautiful people they are. And their an inspriation and support to us all.
JUST DO IT! AND LIVE WELL!!!!
Surgery date = 6-25-2012   

Suzanne B.
on 7/23/12 12:50 am - OR
On July 23, 2012 at 2:50 AM Pacific Time, Losin-it wrote:
There are some people that can lose weight on their own drives. Like this guy. He dropped 200 lbs on his own.
http://video.foxnews.com/v/1747661398001/patriot-drops--pounds-to-join-army?intcmp=features

What I needed to realize is I WAS NOT THAT GUY! I'm a small business owner and my insurance was not going to cover my surgery. $9700 in this economy and another $9700 for my wife (coming up soon) is no small deal for the self employed But one has to ask themselves "what is your life worth"? For those on the fense about WLS ask yourself this question. Can you take the money with you when you die? It's only money. If you die 10 years sooner from medical issues caused from obesity would to pay $1000 per year to live healthy and full of life for an additional ten years? For me the answer was easy. I was 308 30 days ago and have already lost over 30 lbs. I don't weigh daily so I've not got an exact number but already I stopped taking pain meds for a bad hip. How much is my liver thanking me for that?

If your on the fense about weight lose surgery you obviously need it or you wouldn't likely be considering it. Take it from a guy that will total out at $20K for my wife and I to live a great life as we were meant to be, thin and vibrant!! Just get it done!! Change your relationship with food. Change your relationship with life!! You do not need to go through life heavy and bearing all the negatives this brings. You DO need to admit you haven't been able to do it by yourself. We're not all able to do that. I wasn't, my wife wasn't, and almost everyone on this forum wasn't. But take a look at the ones that went before us like Shagdoll and the many others. Look at the pre-op and post goal pictures and see the beautiful people they are. And their an inspriation and support to us all.
JUST DO IT! AND LIVE WELL!!!!
Hi,

You get in and you have done what it is going to take to save your life and your wife's life.  I so admire you for having the courage to know that this was the ONE thing that was going to make the difference for you and your wife for the rest of your life. You are on the road to success that will last forever!

You are an amazing man, who must love and care deeply for yourself along with your wife.  This is a life changing event that you will NEVER regret.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and your stroy, Please keep telling it, there are new people on here all the time that need to hear this and will need support.

Hugs,
Suzanne
Suzanne B
Eugene, OR
Dr. Aceves
10/21/2008 
Start lbs 225
Now 120
Most Active