Which comes first? Info session or PCP?

akr9911
on 8/23/12 1:53 pm
VSG on 06/20/13
Okay, I did it. I made the call to my PCP to get my annual phyiscal taken care of, and to start the conversation with her about WLS. And this has never happened to me before BUT I cannot get in to see her until September 27th. I was looking online earlier today at 2 possible surgical centers near me and both have info sessions well before my PCP appointment. Is it OK to go to one of these sessions before I have the serious sit-down with the PCP, or should I wait until I meet with her and talk abou the options? Appreciate your sage input.

E
Hislady
on 8/23/12 2:33 pm - Vancouver, WA
I went to the info session before seeing my PCP but some surgeons have their own programs they want you to use. However if these sessions are being advertised to the public I'd say go ahead and go, if you need to you could attend again after seeing the PCP. I found the info session full of things I needed to know about the surgery itself. Good luck!
parisagol
on 8/23/12 3:19 pm - MD
RNY on 10/08/12 with
 If you have insurance and have the WLS benefit go for the seminar first. Any way the surgeon won't give you the appt before seminar.

poet_kelly
on 8/23/12 3:36 pm - OH
On August 23, 2012 at 10:19 PM Pacific Time, parisagol wrote:
 If you have insurance and have the WLS benefit go for the seminar first. Any way the surgeon won't give you the appt before seminar.

Not all surgeons require patients to attend a seminar.  I never went to one.  I just scheduled an appointment with my surgeon.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

poet_kelly
on 8/23/12 3:36 pm - OH
You can go to an info session before talking to your PCP if you want.

Depending on your insurance, you may or may not need a referral to actually consult with a surgeon from your PCP.  I never had a sit down with my PCP.  I didn't go to an info session, either.  I just scheduled a consult with a surgeon.  Prior to having surgery, I had to see my PCP for a physical so that's when I told her I was planning to have WLS.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

hannan
on 8/23/12 4:50 pm - FL
RNY on 06/06/12
I went to the info session then to my PCP. The information session told me all the blood tests I needed, where to send my medical records, and basically where to get started. I'm not sure seeing the PCP would be productive if you don't know what the surgeon needs.

MLJ2012
on 8/24/12 3:08 am - MA
I went to the info session and dealt directly with the surgical center.  I never went through my PCP..in fact, I still haven't seen her..looking to switch PCP's at this point.
SandieMc49
on 8/24/12 4:38 am
Go to the info sessions!  That will only further serve as evidence to your PCP of the commitment you have made.

Before I had even MET my surgeon (he books far out), I had been to an information session and I had 2 pre-op appointments already done and fulfilled!  The surgeon's office was completely supportive of this.  I was so glad I did. 

Best of luck to you.

Sandie
Princess Brandy
on 8/24/12 5:30 am - PA
 I just asked for a referral and went to the nutritionist, then did the classes. 
        http://poundsago.blogspot.com/.  My daughters weightloss blog, would love if you all support her in her journey. 
akr9911
on 8/24/12 8:54 am
VSG on 06/20/13
Thanks all. I knew you'd come through for me! So I noticed that the center I was looking at had an online video introduction, the high points of the in-person sessions, so I signed up for that and watched it yesterday. After I was done, they indicated that someone would touch base with me within 48 hours. I will talk to that person when they call and I think I will also go to an inperson session on 9/22. It will be just a few days before my PCP appointment so I'll have a lot of fresh info in my brain (and in my notes!) when I see her.

I live in the Chicago area and there are a lot of good options here for me to consider in terms of surgical centers. Should I go to more than 1, or should I focus on the center most closely aligned with my PCP and home hospital?

Thanks again. E
Most Active