3 day post op spasms?

Lauren Vento
on 9/11/12 9:26 am - Lake Elsinore, CA
VSG on 09/08/12
 I had the VSG on Saturday.  I am currently laying on my couch because the pain is just so intense.  The doctor said it was spasms, and that sure is what it feels like.  Aside from the soreness of my incisions, these muscle/stomach spasms seem to be the highest source of pain.  Sometimes even causing hiccups, which are extremely painful themselves.

I've been walking a lot and trying to sip about an ounce of water or protein shake every 15 minutes, and I have been passing gas, also, I don't have anymore nausea, so the doctor said to wait it out.

Just wondering, did anyone else deal with these?  Almost feels like a charlie horse in the middle of my gut.  And if you did, how long did you have them?  

THANKS!

Certified Life Coach & WLS Support Coach

Mal
on 9/11/12 9:56 am
 I had the same pain (muscle spasms) when I woke up from surgery and it did continue when I got home.  Try a heating pad on your tummy and lay down with lots of pillows (either on the couch or in bed.  I know when I was newly postop I couldn't get out of bed without help so if you have a recliner that might help too.  

Continue to sip as much as humanly possible (I know its tough) but you really don't want to end up dehydrated.  Walk when you aren't resting too that will help you recover faster.  

Mallisa

Lauren Vento
on 9/11/12 10:26 am - Lake Elsinore, CA
VSG on 09/08/12
 Thank you!  I hadn't thought about a heating pad.  I sure hope it helps!  :)
mbentz
on 9/11/12 12:57 pm - Somerset, PA
O.M.G.  "a charlie horse in the middle of my gut".  I have been trying to describe the pain that I have been having the past several months and could not figure out how to describe it!!  I have had MRI's, Xrays, a hernia repair, gall bladder removal, heart cath, endoscopy, and the pain is still there.  The dr that did my heart cath suggested possibly esophageal spasms.  I didn't know anything about those, but it sounded like what I was experiencing.  And then I come upon this post....your description of the pain is spot on.  I am 2 years out from RNY.  Did not have this pain until about 3-4 months ago.  It just comes on at anytime...there is no rhyme or reason to it.  Hurts like a son of a gun!! 
 HW 282  SW 270  GW 160  CW 150
Lauren Vento
on 9/11/12 2:17 pm - Lake Elsinore, CA
VSG on 09/08/12
 From my research, which hasn't been much because the pain meds knock me out, that's exactly what it is.  I only hope they don't last forever, because I am terrified to move or drink anything because of them.  
Lauren Vento
on 9/13/12 10:56 am - Lake Elsinore, CA
VSG on 09/08/12
 I just want to let everyone know that we figured it all out!

I finally broke down and called my surgeon because the pain was too much to handle.  I was told to switch from my norcos to tylenol and UP UP UP my water intake.  Apparently I was supposed to be drinking an Oz ever minute or two, not ever 15!  I was dehydrating myself while doping myself up and it was leading my body to freak out.  I am 5days post op and now feel almost 100% better!   Doing good at getting my in protein and water and SO ready to start with soft foods soon.  I love not feeling hungry all day, and feeling satisfied after eating.
Most Active