support groups

joetorres
on 9/19/12 3:54 pm
 i would really like to attend one of these. Can those that have gone explain what goes on in these events?

poet_kelly
on 9/19/12 4:50 pm - OH
It depends on the group.

Often the support groups held at surgeons' offices are led by a nurse or dietician.  Sometimes they are more of an educational presentation than an actually support group.  Sometimes surgeons invite representatives from vitamin companies to come and make a sales presentation, trying to sell their products to patients, which really bugs me because I don't see how that's supposed to be supportive.

Other groups do focus more on emotional support.  My support group is not professionally facilitated.  Instead, members take turns facilitating the sessions.  The facilitator chooses a topic and we discuss it.  Recent topics have included how we keep ourselves on track, dealing with food addictions, body image, developing the habits that help us maintain our weight loss, etc.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MsBatt
on 9/19/12 6:14 pm
The first surgeon I saw required that all patients attend at least one meeting of the support group he sponsored.  Since that was 2.5 hours from my home, I managed to attend one the same day I had my consult with him.

There were something like 150 people there, and the 'support' consisted of various post-ops standing up and telling the group how much weight they'd lost. This took about an hour. Then, the surgeon's office staff spent another 30-45 minutes telling us what a great surgeon he was, and how all our troubles would be over if we 1) had surgery with him, and 2) bought his 'bariatric' products. Value to me? ZERO.

Thankfully, I decided to change procedures AND surgeons, and went to a different support group. That was a much smaller group---it averaged about 15-20 people, and we actually TALKED about our experiences and our expectations. I attended that group for about 20 months, until it disbanded (alas!). That one was a very helpful, educational, and supportive.

In other words---not all support groups are created equal. Shop around, and find one that fits YOUR needs.
Dave Chambers
on 9/19/12 6:59 pm - Mira Loma, CA

These meeting normally have 2 different types of people in attendance. The meetings are designed for post op support for wt loss patients, so there will be several post ops in attendance.  Most surgeons also have a requriement of patients attending at least one support meeting prior to surgery.  I'd recommend you attend as many post op groups you can prior to any wt loss surgery.  You'll hear post ops discuss a wide variety of issues.  Since this is the first major surgery for many, they are concerned whenver their abdomen makes a strange noise, strange aches, gas issues, diarrhea, etc. You'll also hear recommendations from other post ops on how to overcome initial issues after surgery: how to drink enough water, how to take all of your supplements, why you should eat foods according to your surgeon's protocol, how to deal with constipation, what dumping is and how to deal with it, etc.  These are groups where you learn how to deal with issues post op, physical and emotional.  I've attended 2-3 of these groups for almost every month of the 6+ years since my RNY.  I learn something new at almost every support group.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

karenp8
on 9/20/12 12:37 pm - Brighton, IL
I love the support group I attend and started attending several months before I evenhad surgery. There are generally about 20 people and everyone is very friendly so I got to meet and talk with actual people who had had the surgery I was considering. Our group is facilitated by a dietitian and each month we have a speaker but no one selling anything. This month was on excercise and how to start a walking or running program. Other topics have been recipes and post op eating where we got to make and sample food that is good for postops, skin and hair care, and one time we even did zumba together. All the programs have been great and I really enjoy the chance to meet and talk with other postops! 
Most Active