needing some help...new to boards

Mary72
on 10/25/12 6:52 am
 Hi everyone, just wanting some info on WLS. I am considering it for myself.  I have a fatty liver which concerns me.  I have hypothyroid issues and am on medication for it.  I am also on an anxiety medication.  I don't know anyone who has had the surgery up until this week.  My cousin just had it done and so it got me thinking about it.  I live in Kitchener, and would love anyones advice about the proceedure, meetings, support groups, time lines etc.  Thanks so much. Mary
JJ_
on 10/25/12 8:20 pm

Welcome Mary.  Please start posting in the Ontario Forum:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ON/

You will find a lot of Ontarians there with experience at the same Bariatric Centre as you.  I am in Ottawa and had RNY surgery in December 2011. 

Judy

Happysmile
on 10/25/12 8:21 pm

Mary,
Welcome to Obesity Help.
Thanks for sharing some of your medical conditions. My suggestion is to ask as many questions as you can at your Orientation session.I went through TWH.
Thanks
Happysmile

Surgery : Gastric Bypass July 4th at TEGH        
newhope7
on 10/25/12 11:11 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/05/12

Hello Mary I too am new to this forum. I think just keeping in touch and sharing your questions and feelings with this forum will help you figure out if surgery is right for you. 

I am having my surgery Nov 5th and what helped me decide is I spoke to the surgeon and he provided me with statistics of comparing to doing nothing ( staying the way I am ) to WLS. I researched the statistics for people with my comorbidities ( Type 2 diabetes) and found out that for me not doing the surgery held far higher risks than going through with it

As you can see by all the entries on this forum that this is not easy decision to make. Gather your information, ask lots of questions at your information session, talk to the professionals and then listen to what your heart tells you and  make your informed choice. This is a very personal choice.

Best of luck. 

Take care 

Michele 

MsBatt
on 10/26/12 7:13 am

Newhope, has anyone talked to you about the Duodenal Switch? While it's true that approximately 85% of diabetics who have the RNY achieve remission, better than 98% of diabetics who choose the DS instead achieve permanent remission of all symptoms. The DS also has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats.

MsBatt
on 10/26/12 7:16 am

Most morbidly obese people DO have a fatty liver, and losing weight almost always corrects it.

Be sure to research ALL FOUR FORMS of WLS. There's the Band (which I do NOT recommend!), the Sleeve/VSG, the RNY/gastric bypass, and the DS/duodenal switch. There is no 'one size fits all' form of WLS, and you can't really make an informed decision unless you understand them ALL.

sam1am
on 10/26/12 10:54 am

Hi Mary and welcome!  Most people who are obese have a fatty liver.  Losing weight can cure this.  Many of us also have thyroid issues and take anxiety meds as well.

As JJ mentioned, come on over to visit the Ontario board, where you will see people with information regarding the centre you are using and their experiences and timelines.

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Most Active