Barrett's Esophagus & Lap Band Info Request

vicfet
on 11/1/12 1:34 am

Newbie here, anyone diagnosed with Barrett's esophagus and had a Realize Lap Band? Wanting to know how lap band effected Barrett's if at all. Thanks all.

poet_kelly
on 11/1/12 4:41 am - OH

I think the band is usually not advised for people with Barrett's esophagus.  I think it can make the condition worse.

But really, I would not recommend the band for anyone.  The failure rate is too high and the complication rate is too high.  It's not a very effective surgery, statistically, although some people do well with it.  Many people end up getting the band removed and revising to RNY or VSG a couple years down the road, though.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MsBatt
on 11/1/12 6:46 am

The Band is notorious for CAUSING acid reflux, the usual root cause of Barrett's esophagus. Run far and fast from the Band!

Research the other three forms of WLS---Sleeve/VSG, RNY/gastric bypass, and DS/duodenal switch. Any of them would be a better choice for you than the Band. I had the DS nearly 9 years ago, and it completely cured my acid reflux.

MARIA F.
on 11/1/12 7:38 am - Athens, GA

I would think that Barrett's would be contraindicated. Realize and Lap-Bands can actually cause Barrett's, so there is the potential there of a band actually making your condition worse. Try looking into VSG, DS, or RNY. :-)

FormerlyFluffy.com

MsBatt
on 11/1/12 11:03 am

The Band is notorious for causing acid reflux, generally the root cause of Barrett's---so no, the Band would NOT be a good idea for you. Research the other three forms of WLS---Sleeve, RNY, and DS. Any of them would be a better choice.

I had the DS nearly nine years ago, and it completely cured my acid reflux.

vicfet
on 11/2/12 12:15 am

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and advice. I have been checking into all the other options as well. I've had two other surgeries that used internal dissolvable stitches and some of the stitches didn't dissolve (no one knows why-at different hospitals and procedures) causing major complications which is a big concern for me and my husband. My Barrett's is mild and just diagnosed starting, so we are very pro-active with meds and diet change now. The doctor (Dr. Dan-Akron) was so very patient and spent so much time reviewing the options and my concerns, but I'm still undecided and researching. So sorry for the next person's appt. after me, since I took so long! I'll keep you updated. Love this site-thanks!

Most Active