So much pain 2 years post op

bbwvixen
on 11/10/12 5:10 am - Surrey, Canada

I had RNY two and a half years ago.

I've always had problems with my shoulder (bursitis) and elbows (told it was tendonitis), but in the last six months I've had incredible pain in my legs too. Sometimes if feels like a charlie horse, but most of the time it feels like a knife is being dug through my thighs.

I've tried T3 w/codeine and Tramol but nothing seems to help.

bbwvixen
on 11/10/12 5:16 am - Surrey, Canada

I forgot to mention I got my blood work done last week and it's all good. My calfs feel like they're cramping up too.

hollykim
on 11/10/12 5:55 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

How was your calcium.Vit D and magnesium?

Low or borderline on any of those can cause leg pain.

G

L

Valerie G.
on 11/11/12 12:56 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

How familiar are you with reading your own labs?  Potassium / K were the first things to come to mind to me?  How were those levels?  Were they even listed?  Have they gone down since last draw?

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Carol S.
on 11/10/12 8:31 am - Milwaukee, WI

Potassium.  Just because your labs look normal for a normie doesn't mean they are normal of someone with WLS.  Add it, see what happens with your leg.  You can also try Fish Oil to see if that gives you some relief from the tendonitis.  It won't cure you but it may ease your pain after using it for several weeks.  You can also try a chiropractor.  

Carol

SW/276 CW 150 GW 185

9 Years out.

cajungirl
on 11/10/12 11:22 am
What is your Vitamin D? I was having leg pains and my D had dropped.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Linda_S
on 11/10/12 2:56 pm - Eugene, OR

My thought is potassium also.  I get horrible cramps in my legs if I don't take it.  I find that just twice a week works pretty well for me.  I think it can be toxic if you take too much, but if you're not absorbing enough from your food it can cause bad leg cramps.

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/10/12 9:30 pm
It can be so many things. Normal values are not always good enough. Many times the doc does not order all tests that we need.
Why don't you post complete test results and let some vets look at them.
I.e. with low ferritin (below 50) some of us may get leg muscle cramps like with RLS. I know I do when my ferritin is below 30. Even though "normal" low level in my lab is 11.
Low protein may cause the body to start breaking down the muscles... and as others mentioned - low D , low calcium magnesium or potassium. Even low salt diet may cause that.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active