Surgery Scheduled for 27 December

katycochran2013
on 12/6/12 5:51 am - GA
RNY on 12/27/12

I am Katy, I am 24 years old and weight 295  pounds. I have been heavy all my life, and I am very excited that my insurance has approved me to have the RNY. I scheduled my surgery today for 27 December. My surgeon is Dr. William Johnson of Atlanta Bariatrics. I am very excited to start my weightloss journey. Any advice or tips are greatly appreciated!

MsBatt
on 12/6/12 7:00 am

I have some advice, but you may not want to hear it.

You're 24 years old, so you're going to have to live with whatever WLS you choose for a VERY long time. Before you go ahead with the RNY, I strongly urge you to consider the Sleeve/VSG and the DS/duodenal switch. Both of these retain the pylorus and all normal stomach function, and allow you to take NSAIDs.

Now, at 24, you hopefully rarely need NSAIDs, but for most of us that changes as we age. NSAIDs are every OTC pain medication other than Tylenol, and they're also in some unexpected things, like Pepto-Bismol. Without NSAIDs, what do you take for cramps? Sprains? Fever? Headache? Arthritis? Inflammation?

And then there's the very real possibility of developing reactive hypoglycemia a few years after the RNY. (Of course, it's possible to develop RH even if you have NO WLS---but losing your pylorus seems to be a huge precipitating factor. Read some of the old threads here about it.)

You owe it to yourself to understand ALL the options available, so that you may choose wisely. Visit the Revision board and you'll see what I mean.

Long-term, the Sleeve seems to be about as effective as the RNY, but without a lot of the potential side effects. And the DS has the very BEST long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, period. (The DS causes permanent malabsorption of calories. With the RNY, malabsorption of calories goes away by 18-24 months post-op.)

(deactivated member)
on 12/6/12 11:26 am

I agree with you, MsBatt.  I was 59 when I had my surgery, but if I were 24 and had the RNY, I would have been screwed because my periods were so painful.  Advil saved my life on top of everything else.  I took it for 20 years with no side effects and now that I have other physical problems I take pain meds but again, NSAIDS are a wonderful drug and to have given that up would have been devastating.  I agree about the about the Sleeve. and the DS.  I have learned alot from you about the DS and even though I had the RNY if the insurance would have paid for the Sleeve I think now I would have done it.  The DS my surgeon didn't do.  Still no regrets but it's good info to give young people especially.  Jane

lmontalban
on 12/6/12 7:40 am - Temple Hills, MD

Congratulations!!  My RNY is scheduled for December 11.  Wishing you the best of luck and a speedy recovery on your surgery!

Take care!

Lisa

katycochran2013
on 12/6/12 7:42 am - GA
RNY on 12/27/12

Thanks you too. 

BelieveInFaith
on 12/6/12 9:40 am - NJ
RNY on 08/08/13

Best of luck on your journey!! I'm scheduled for my procedure in January!  I'm on my 6 month nutritional/supervised diet plan.  My advice is to read as much as you can on here.  I have found so much great info. on here and it is helping me prepare!

katycochran2013
on 12/6/12 10:01 am - GA
RNY on 12/27/12

I know I have been reading lots as well. Fortunately, my insurance company did not require me to have 6 month supervised diet plan. Good luck with your surgery and thanks for the advice :D

blueballoons
on 12/13/12 9:28 am
RNY on 12/27/12

Congrats im Getting the same surgery on the 27th also 

katycochran2013
on 12/13/12 11:13 am - GA
RNY on 12/27/12

Good luck with your surgery!

Most Active