Anyone have surgery at the Cleveland Clinic?

RainbowRN
on 12/6/12 12:58 pm - OH
RNY on 03/12/13

Hello!

I just wanted to see how many people out there have had bariatric surgery at the Cleveland Clinic.  I will be having my procedure there and I wanted to find out how good the department is.

THANKS!!

HW: 373 GW: 170 HT: 5'10"

Shaggybrown
on 12/6/12 3:03 pm - Avon Lake, OH

I had my bypass done at Cleveland Clinic about 3weeks ago.  You couldn't ask for a better experience. 

RainbowRN
on 12/7/12 2:35 pm - OH
RNY on 03/12/13

Thanks! That makes me feel better!  Was it a long process for you? The wait time?

laurie91566
on 12/6/12 9:36 pm - OH

Hello, I am having mine there on Dec 19th,  love it so far... EVERYONE is great up there :)

RainbowRN
on 12/7/12 2:38 pm - OH
RNY on 03/12/13

I hope everything goes well for you!  I am actually an RN at the Clinic.  I work on the unit right next to the Inpatient Bariatric unit.  I'm glad to hear that its been a good experience.  I'm so nervous!  I can't wait to actually see someone.  How long did the process take you?

MsBatt
on 12/6/12 11:19 pm

You don't say which form of WLS you're having. Given your BMI, I hope you've researched the DS. I'm pretty sure they offer it at the Cleveland Clinic.

RainbowRN
on 12/7/12 2:40 pm - OH
RNY on 03/12/13

Right now i am looking at the RNY.  I am doing alot of research trying to find the one that suits me best.  Not sure which one that my insurance will pay for right now.   I am actually looking into DS also. I don't know too much about it yet. 

larra
on 12/7/12 9:11 am - bay area, CA

I'm with MsBatt - while the DS works well for any patient in the MO range,it is esp useful for people with a bmi over 50, as it has the best statistics for percentage excess weight loss, for maintainence of that weight loss, and for resolution of almost all comorbidities. You mention in your profile that you have PCOS and insulin resistance - the DS provides far more metabolic changes than RNY, changes that will work to correct whatever is wrong with your metabolism now. No guarantees, of course, with any wls, but it provides the best hope for this.

Research ALL your options. You can find a lot of great info about the ds at dsfacts.com. And from what I've read here and elsewhere, Dr. Schauer is now doing the DS.

Larra

RainbowRN
on 12/7/12 2:42 pm - OH
RNY on 03/12/13

Thanks!  I really am going to have to look into it!  :)  i know that with all my hormone issues, my body responds differently.  I wanna be as well informed as possible.  I havent met with Dr. Schauer yet but I will ask him about this.

RW76
on 12/7/12 11:23 am, edited 12/7/12 11:26 am - Medina, OH

I had surgery back in March of 2011.  Great department all the way from day 1, no complaints at all.  Followup with Drs. Cooper and Cetin have also been fantastic.

Didn't know he did DS now, that's great news!  Still happy with the VSG but glad to know if I ever needed Stage 2 I can go to the Clinic instead of Dayton.

Pre Op: 415  SW: 390  Goal: 235 CW: 225

Most Active