Christmas Eve Binge

Rms928
on 12/24/12 8:47 am
VSG on 03/20/13

So here it is Christmas Eve.  I came home early from work, my daughter is home from school and after pre-op dieting for a month and losing nearly 20 lbs. I had a glass of wine. Then I had another. Then I switched to a mixed drink and then it started, the dreaded binge.  I've eaten everything that came my way.  I'm really hoping that once I am sleeved, the ability to binge will be greatly reduced.  Is that to much to expect? I know this is a mental thing and staying away from alcohol is a big part of it. I'm not a big drinker but when I do, I eat!  

Have any of you out there had similar experiences with this?  This time the trigger was having a drink. Next time it could be something else. Does the sleeve help to stop the binge eating?  

M1-10 M2-31.4 M3-11 M4-16.8 M5-15 M6-10 M7-14 M8-9

rocky513
on 12/24/12 12:44 pm - WI

The surgery in on your stomach...not on your head.  You can eat your way around ANY SURGERY.  The surgery will help you with portion size...but if you're a grazer...and you can't get control of it... you will gain your weight back.  The best thing I ever did was find a counselor to help me with the "head stuff".  You can't count on the surgery to "fix" your food issues.  I can tell you that losing the weight is easy compared with getting your head right and maintaining your weight.  Seek out a support group and don't be afraid to face your "food demons" head on.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

(deactivated member)
on 12/24/12 2:35 pm, edited 12/24/12 2:44 pm

Great message!  I think that they should have everyone in counseling BEFORE surgery, not after.  It makes no sense to have the surgery for any of us and then have all these mental issues to contend with.  Just my thought on this.  With all the testing, seeing the psychiatrist is only there to make sure you don't have issues with this or that.  Some therapists will recommend some patients to have counseling before surgery, but on the average, even with all the research we may do, it's not enough.  Do try to get into some counseling to help you with this.  I wish you the best.  Jane

Most Active