HELP....holiday potlucks, sweets, and more

BrandNewKimmie
on 12/23/12 9:33 am
RNY on 02/21/12
Hi all, I need advice...I'm 10 months out, down 125 lbs, at a normal weight, all is well except...I've been eating poorly lately. I haven't gained, strangely I'm still losing? i've been going to several holiday functions, I've indulged in chocolate cake, those minty hershey's kisses are the devil!!! Chips, crackers, bread....I haven't overeaten, only had these things in small doses but frequently. I'm also more hungry these days...Help, how do I get back on track? Rid these foods from my diet...aside from weight gain, what are the risks associated with eating these foods after bypass? I've decided to go cold turkey but need some tips, support, even reassurance I can resume my healthy eating and haven't caused too much damage. Thanks
Valerie G.
on 12/23/12 9:59 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Holidays come and go along with the indulgent food.  You'll get back to normal when they are over.  This is my 8th holiday season post DS, and I always lose a pound or two despite my refusing to deprive myself of anything. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

ruggie
on 12/23/12 11:04 am - Sacramento, CA

One risk is that eating sugary foods makes you want to continue to eat sugary foods - varies on the person, but definitely true for me.  

I know if I have one serving of cake / chocolate / chips / bread now, I might want 1.5 next month, and two after that ... etc.  While you're not gaining now, be sure that after the holiday that you actually stop, and not BS yourself and provide justifications for having that food in Jan. and Feb. so you continue to avoid regain.

As far as reassurance, perhaps someone else with RnY can speak - I dare not eat those foods still!  

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

Dennis97
on 12/23/12 11:26 am - MO

Wow Kimmie, you look fantastic.

Ladytazz
on 12/23/12 12:35 pm

You still have malabsorption so you can get away with those indiscretions.  Trust me, when the malabsorption is gone you will pay.  Don't get complacement or you will be one of those people who hit 2-3 years and wake up with a 20 lbs regain and don't know where it came from.  Now is the time to practice the kind of eating habits you want to live with, be it small amount of treats occasionally (if you can pull that off, I can't) or finding other alternatives to those things that got us into the place of having to alter our bodies in order to get a handle on our weight.

The surgery is just an aid to help you stick with healthier eating habits.  It doesn't do it for us.  You have some help by way of being able to eat smaller amounts and be satisfied but the rest is up to you.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

BrandNewKimmie
on 12/23/12 1:21 pm
RNY on 02/21/12
Thanks for the advice and feedback guys...rather than wait for the holidays to be over, I rather avoid sweets and treats all together now. I took last week off from the gym to enjoy my holiday however, the fear of gaining has motivated me to get back to my regular schedule of things...
(deactivated member)
on 12/24/12 12:02 am

Sounds stupid but all of the old tools apply: don't over think it, keep a glass of water in hand at all times (hard to put food in your mouth when you are holding a plate in one and a glass in the other) write down everything you eat, go for an extra walk or two, eat the healthier stuff first, distance yourself from the food table, blah, blah, blah. If you can manage it, have one or two but only eat the  best. Don't squander your calories on crappy cheap chocolate. If you are able to stick with it, give yourself a pat on the back. If you don't, still give yourself a pat on the back. Remind yourself of what you have done already and get back with it. A day at a time, sometimes an hour at a time. You can do it!

Dagne Tripplehorn
on 12/24/12 2:00 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12

Ditto on indulging, if we do indulge, on only the best. Personally, I am not at all tempted by Hershey's, no matter how awful the cravings get. But there are other chocolates that are sex, crack, heroin, & heaven wrapped up into one imported package.

If I'm going to eff up, it will be with my heart's desire. 

Now if I could only stop effing up with my heart's desire...

Most Active