Lithium for depression and weight gain

bbwvixen
on 12/31/12 10:10 am - Surrey, Canada

I am on ciprilix, wellbutrion and sereqeol. I told my doctor I wanted to gef off the serequol due to weight gain.

So he's put me on lithium and cutting my ciprilix out. Does this sound right? I'm sorry worried about gaining what I've lost

Mary Catherine
on 12/31/12 11:21 am

Antidepressants are notorious for weight gain and Lithium is one of the worst.  Be very careful.  Wellbutrion is the only one that seems to not cause weight gain.  Just monitor your weight carefully and see if your appetite increases or if the scale goes up.  I trust my doctor, but also insist that I will not take medicines that cause weight gain.

poet_kelly
on 12/31/12 2:17 pm - OH

The thing is, some meds may cause weight gain in some patients while not causing weight gain in others.  You can ask your doc which meds are least likely to cause weight gain, but also monitor your weight and let him know if you do start to gain.  About a year ago I was on Abilfy for about three months and gained over 20 lbs.  I just let my doc know that wasn't OK with me and I changed meds and lost most of that 20 lbs pretty easily.  I'm currently on Effexor and have had no weight gain from that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Mal
on 1/1/13 1:27 am

Kelly is right, everyone is different.  I took Lithium long-term and had a significant weight gain.  It also didn't work very well for me and my symptoms.  Anti-depressants and anti-psychotic medications are tricky as everyone's chemical makeup is different.  I often felt like a guinea pig with all the different meds they have had me on.  Unfortunately, that's the only way to find out what works for you.

Good luck!

M'Lane

Carol S.
on 1/1/13 11:53 am - Milwaukee, WI

I agree-psych meds can be so different for everyone.  Cymbalta caused horrible weight gain for me.  I was taking it for chronic pain and decided that I would rather be in pain.  Surprisingly once I got off of it and lost the weight my pain decreased so much.

Keep a log on how they work and how they affect your weight and keep an open line of communication with your doctor. 

Good luck!

Carol

SW/276 CW 150 GW 185

9 Years out.

Srg2
on 1/1/13 6:49 pm - CA

I took lithium for 2 years and never gained a pound on it..but I think it was Lithobid which is a newer form of Lithium.  Try it a month.  It may not cause weight gain for you.  The only med I have ever gained weight on is Paxil and Zoloft and I have tried them all.

LVeronica
on 1/1/13 9:05 pm

Seroquel is an atypical antipsychotic that is notorious for causing weight gain as well as a lot of other side effects.  Ask you doctor about Geodon or Abilify instead of Seroquel.  They are also atypical antipsychotics but are more weight neutral.  Ciprilix is escitalopram, similar to celexa, same as lexapro.  It is an SNRI.  all the SNRI's can cause some weight gain.  Lithium is a mood stabilizer.  Lithium also causes weight gain and has a myriad of other unpleasant side effects.  It sounds like you are being treated for a serious psychiatric disorder and it is important to take your medications as prescribed.  If you are not seeing a Psychiatrist, perhaps you should consider seeing one.   

(deactivated member)
on 1/4/13 6:06 am
RNY on 04/23/13

Hi,

I have taken Lithium for years with no weight gain related to it.  I also take Seroquel which is well known to alte blood sugar metablism and may also result in diabetes if taken long term.    I have previously been bulimic in the past and was prescribed Ciprilix which was said to reduce my appetite which it did.

Lithium works for me with mood stabilising but not as an anitidepressant ( it is a mood stabiliser not an antidepressant).  When I ceased taking Ciprilix I ended up needing to take it again after 2 months due to anxiety and 'lows'.

Everyone is so different...for me the EMPHASIS is on mood stabilisation...when I am not stablised I make bad choices and am self destructive and that is worse for me than any weight gain.  I think the only thing you can do is trial and error and see what works for you.

I too was worried about weight gain when I started Lithium but was surprised that it didnt happen.Goodluck

Most Active