Let's do lunch!

SunnydazeRobyn
on 1/6/13 7:20 am

WTH! I need other options for socializing! I want to spend time with my friends, but it always seems to revolve around a meal or drinks. I'm not telling 99% of my clients about my surgery in 4 days, but I stupidly made a sushi date for after 1 client's next haircut. I'll be 20 days post op. WTH was I thinking?

Another aquaintance wants to meet for lunch & I keep putting her off. :(

My two closest girlfriends know about WLS, but 1 is a smoker which I can't be tempted to be around & the other is a pretty big eater/drinker. I just don't know what to do...

Robyn

Highest weight 332, Consult weight 325, Surgery weight 316

Valerie G.
on 1/6/13 9:18 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

You can't escape food as a social medium - so go some place that has some nice soup that you can enjoy, or something similarly light and roll with it.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

SunnydazeRobyn
on 1/6/13 9:42 am

Thank you, you're right. Soup will be perfect. :)

Robyn

ruggie
on 1/6/13 9:59 am - Sacramento, CA

You can always just pick at a protein-rich appetizer - if anyone says anything, you can remark "Oh, I had something to eat right before I got here so I'm not too hungry".  I've never had anyone give me a second look with that excuse.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

SunnydazeRobyn
on 1/6/13 10:06 am

That would work great any other time, but it's my client's 1st time with sushi. I talked her into it 2 haircuts ago. She canceled last week but promised next time. I'm just gonna have to cancel on her this time...

Robyn

jessann5
on 1/7/13 1:53 am - Kansas City, KS

I know this situation well! I try to avoid "food" dates for a few reasons, 1 I am trying to save money and going out to eat is expensive, and 2 it is hard to find reasonable choices out sometimes.

So, when my friends want to get out and do something, I like to suggest meeting for coffee at Starbucks or Panerra it removes the food temptations and also lets us get together and chat it up which is the whole purpose anyway. Another thing I will do is meet on the trail for a walk in the afternoons. It gives us lots of time to chat and also makes us both feel better about getting some activity in.

RNY 1/29/08
Pre: BMI 47.6 wt 279
Current: BMI 24.9 wt 146
total pounds lost: 133

SunnydazeRobyn
on 1/7/13 6:43 am

Thanks! Great idea for Starbucks & chattering. :)

Robyn

sam1am
on 1/7/13 11:31 am

I think you'll be surprised how little pay attention to what others are eating, make good choices and tell them you are full but will bring some home for later.  I still do this at 3 years post op.

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Carol S.
on 1/13/13 1:24 am - Milwaukee, WI

I just ask to be faxed a menu, I pick one up, or I look online.  If something works for me I have a plan-sometimes I call and ask if they can mix/match etc. before I go etc.  If none of that is possible I just eat before I go and have some herbal tea while I visit.

Carol

SW/276 CW 150 GW 185

9 Years out.

Most Active