I'M GETTING EXCITED!!!

kerlanny
on 1/12/13 7:27 am - Canada
RNY on 01/29/13

I'm new on here and have been looking over things so this is my first post. I did sign up to OH back in the summer but was so busy I didn't have a chance to get on here. I'm getting pretty excited and am taking in as much information as I can right now. So here I am. :o)

I am getting excited about my upcoming surgery... My date is January 29 at St. Joe's in Toronto.

I started the Optifast on Tuesday and so far so good. Unfortunately I don't care for chocolate so the next 18 day on it are going to be pretty boring having only vanilla.

I am slightly nervous but I think that's normal for any surgery. I am hoping to have the RNY but have had other abdominal surgeries so I may have to get the sleeve if there's too much scar tissue. I was told that the weight loss with the sleeve is slower and not as much as the RNY... Here hoping I can get the RNY!

tinapipp
on 1/12/13 7:38 am

What kind of surgery did you have previously that left scar tissue? I have had some issues with scar tissue myself do to endometriosis. 

kerlanny
on 1/12/13 8:14 am - Canada
RNY on 01/29/13

A couple hernia repairs, gallbladder removed old style it's about 8 inches long and a hysterectomy so from hip to hip...  My abdomen looks like a patchwork quilt.LOL!

MsBatt
on 1/12/13 7:39 am

In your shoes, I'd ASK them to do the Sleeve rather than the RNY. The long-term results are surprisingly similar, but the Sleeve retains the pylorus and all normal stomach function. Also, the RNY causes life-long malabsorption of certain vitamins and minerals, but only mild, temporary malabsorption of calories. And, worse-case scenario, should you need a revision later on, it's much easier to revise a Sleeve than an RNY.

Think twice, cut once.

JJ_
on 1/12/13 11:19 am

Welcome to the forum.  Check out the Ontario Forum to chat with others from Toronto and all over Ontario:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ON/a,messageboard/

I did 3 weeks of Chocolate Optifast before I had WLS in Ottawa in December 2011.  Good luck with your upcoming surgery.

Judy

MrsLitch
on 1/12/13 3:08 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

My choice too was the RNY and I was told they would try to do it lap however due to excessive scar tissue they may have to open me up. I had a tummy tuck hip to hip, a 12 lb cyst removed with my left ovary, and then a year later a complete hysterectomy. I told him if he couldn't do it to give me the sleeve and I remember asking my hubby when I woke up which I got, he had no idea lol. Make sure if that is a concern that whoever is with you thinks to ask!

I don't know about up there but here at Walmart they sell sf syrups like torani that are flavored that you can add to a vanilla protein drink to mix up the taste a bit if you like.

Please don't let others persuade you out of your surgery of choice with comments here. I for one love my RNY!

Good Luck getting yours!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

sam1am
on 1/13/13 9:11 am

Welcome   I hope you get your surgery of choice, but I have to tell you, that I love my VSG and a lot of people in Ontario fight to get it.

Best wishes!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

kerlanny
on 1/13/13 9:20 am - Canada
RNY on 01/29/13

Thank you so much everyone.

You're all very welcoming...  And I love the support. I am so glad there is a group like this to connect with other people that are all in the same boat.  We may all want have and or receive different surgeries but we all have the same ultimate goal, to be healthy...

daubbermom
on 1/22/13 12:45 pm - OH
RNY on 01/28/13

I too am getting excited. My surgery will be on 1.28 in Cincinnati, Ohio. I have been on protein shakes for 2 weeks. I got vanilla and do not prefer it. The dietician suggested I use the sugar-free Hersheys liquid chocolate, or sugar-free strawberry. It is really good.

Most Active