pre op diet tips 25 lbs 8 weeks?

nevergonnalearn
on 1/18/13 9:17 am - phila, PA
DS on 03/26/13

So I received my surgery date. I went to a support meeting and found out everyone had to lose weight before their surgery. So I figured I would contact my doctor office. The nurse told me that he usually makes everyone lose weight with a bmi higher than 50. So she suggested I lose 25 lbs. my surgery date is march 26th. So i am freaking out . I also gained weight over the holidays so I have to lose at least 30 pounds. is it possible? what diets do you suggest ? I am freaking out. I was looking into atkins because how quick you lose the weight.

Melissa Nicely
on 1/18/13 10:41 am - Chesapeake, OH
RNY on 05/06/13

What I am doing is drinking 2 protein shakes a day and 1 reasonable meal, I also go to Zumba class 3 days a week. I lost 14 pounds in a month doing this. You can loose it if you set your mind to it I know you can, you have 8 weeks to loose it.  Good luck and let us know how are you doing.

BezoarGirl
on 1/19/13 4:41 am - WA

My dr. wanted everyone to lose about 10% of your body weight. I had 4 months and actually lost closer to 20%.  I think it made my surgery easier, recovery easier and helped me get into the routine of what my life would be later.  I know some people didn't make the 10% but he still did the surgery anyway.  Do your best to eat right use some protein shakes for a meal or two and think protein first, then veggies, then fruit. 

Think of it not to lose it quickly but to lose it healthy.  Plus add in 5 days of exercise even if it is just walking.  I had belonged to WW so I keep on the program but added protein shakes per my Nut.  Then I cut out noodles, rice and bread and the pounds really started to drop off.

My dr. also provided me a eating plan also.  Don't forget to get in 6-8 glasses of water daily too!  Many times people think they are hungry but they are thirsty.  Good luck!

RNY 8/29/12       5' 9" tall

Lynn Brown
on 1/19/13 6:36 pm, edited 1/19/13 6:36 pm

My doctor told me that the purpose of the pre-surgery weight loss is to reduce the fat in the liver.  The liver is very close to the area they are cutting and reducing the fatty liver makes the surgery safer.  Anyway, they gave me a diet to follow: 3 protein shakes a day and one meal with 3 oz lean protein, 1/4 cup brown rice or small potato and 1 cup of veggies (or 2 cups lettuce).  There was a list of things I could sub in for the shakes but the shakes were usually easier.  I lost 15 lbs in 4 weeks.

Most Active