What's for dinner?

Cathy W.
on 1/23/13 6:41 am

One of my goals for 2013 was to prepare healthier dishes for dinner.  I'm on the lookout for recipes and what's for dinner by other OH members. 

I'll start off today on this post with mine:

We're having Crock Pot Taco Chicken Chile tonight.  I made it a few days ago and it was a big hit with my somewhat picky husband and very picky son so I'm making it again tonight. 

CROCK POT TACO CHICKEN CHILE

10 servings

INGREDIENTS:

24 ounces of boneless skinless chicken breasts

16 ounce can of kidney beans

16 ounce can of black beans

8 ounce can of tomato sauce

10 ounces of frozen corn

1 onion chopped

2 cans (14.5 ounces each) of diced tomatoes with chilies (or without, whichever your preference)

1 packet of taco seasoning

1 Tablespoon cumin

1 Tablespoon chili powder

DIRECTIONS:

Place the beans, onion, corn, tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder and taco seasoning in a crock pot.  Put the chicken on top of the mixture and place the lid.

Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours.  30 minutes before serving, take out the chicken and shred it.  Return the shredded chicken to the crock pot and stir in with the other ingredients. 

Serve and enjoy!!

NOTE:  You could add other toppings such as sour cream, avocado, shredded cheese or other items that sound good to you.  I had one serving and was very full.  This recipe is easy, delicious and very filling!!

Nutritional Info per serving (without toppings):

Calories:  220
Total fat:  2 g.
Carbs:  30 g.
Fiber:  10 g.
Protein:  24 g.

~ Cathy

molly3613
on 1/23/13 6:54 am - TX
RNY on 01/24/13
This sounds fantastic. I always copy and keep recipes I think are good and this is "in the book". How large is a serving though? 1 cup or 1/2 cup - how did you figure that for the amt. of protein and carbs etc.

Cathy W.
on 1/24/13 5:38 am

Hi Molly,

The recipe calls for 10 servings so my serving was about 1 cup.

I calculated the nutritional stats based on a 1 cup serving.

Cathy

chickenoregg
on 1/23/13 12:07 pm - Portland, OR
RNY on 02/26/13
Plaaaain this evening... Brown rice, black beans, cheddar and medium salsa.
Zzz

Surgery (RNY) scheduled for Feb 26, 2013

ididabadbadthing
on 1/23/13 10:52 pm - TN

Ok I am a little late for this, but great thread.  We had crock pot leftover veggie soup. I make sure I use frozen veggies instead of canned so I don't get a lot of salt. Also, low sodium broth. Added a little tomato paste to make it more like stew.

No receipe, just what ever is left over in your fridge. I used left over chicken. Oh and my husband likes this over pasta so I cooked him so wheat pasta.

Most Active