Anxious...

SarahI
on 2/4/13 4:43 am - Indian River, MI
VSG on 03/04/13

My surgery date is March 4th.  I feel so anxious about it.  Next Wednesday i go for my pre-op appt.  I am prepared for that, my problem is not knowing what i am in for.  I know what everybody else has been thru, but everybody is different.  Mainly i am just losing sleep waiting for everything to happen.  I know that everything will go by so fast from here.  

I hope i am not the only person that feels this way.  I am not one to put much thought into something, but this is so different than anything i have ever done.  For once in my life, i am doing this for myself.  At first i felt guilty because my family depends on me for everything.  But i need to depend on my family for once to help me though this.  

Does the guilt go away?  Has anybody had experiences with family being mad that it wasn't about them at that moment?

SARAH

Valerie G.
on 2/4/13 5:49 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

And don't think this will suddenly change after surgery.  You will be so obsessed with your weight loss and changes in your body, that you will drive them crazy with that too.  There is plenty of you to go around for them as well as yourself.  Try to remind yourself that not everyone wants to hear every detail about your body changes.  Wait until they ask first.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

tipoftheiceberg
on 2/4/13 10:25 am

There are several forums on Obesity Help that  may address your family's questions and concerns. 1. Family and friends support forum 2. Spouses of WLS patients forum 3. WLS parents forum 4. WLS spouses forum

You may also want to speak with your surgeons office to see if they offer any support groups that include family members.  

I hope my ideas help.

SarahI
on 2/4/13 7:25 pm - Indian River, MI
VSG on 03/04/13

Thank you all for the support and info.  I did talk to my family about the surgery last night, and i think we are all on the same page now.  I think it is hard for me since i have always been the go to person in our home.  I still plan on being that person, but they still need to start being more independent too.  Its time for mom to stop coddling and pushing them to be better people.  So we all have some hurdles to blow thru, but we are a strong family.  Once again thanks for the support.  you all are awesome.

SARAH

Miss_CC84
on 2/6/13 10:48 am - Sault Ste Marie, Canada

Honestly don't over think it. You know you need to do this to be healthy and happier. Feeling guilty shouldn't even be an option, because you will be a better person after all of this and your family will love and appreciate your new lease on life. As a mother, I am excited to become more energetic. productive. and active. I got my surgery 3 weeks ago, and it barely affected me from continuing on with my daily life. I went back to work 4 days after surgery as an elementary school teacher. I felt great, not once did I regret my decision. I've felt great ever since. You will be fine, don't let the scary stories that you come across get you anxious or worried. There are way way way more success stories than anything else!

SarahI
on 2/6/13 10:27 pm - Indian River, MI
VSG on 03/04/13

Thx, i am truly excited to start a new chapter in my life, after my talk with my family i have finally put the guilt away and the what if's.  So now i am just counting my calories and getting ready for the upcoming surgery.  I can't thank everyone enough for the encouragement and support, it is great to have people who understand and give advice.  

SARAH

Most Active