Life after RNY

jeanbell
on 2/4/13 9:14 pm - Standish, MI

I would not have had this particular surgery if I had the choice again. There was a message somewhere on here about a woman who lost her friend in the ER- and then she too almost died in the ER... I can't remember what it the condition was called...but it was years after their surgery...If anyone sees the post...Please let me know. Anyway, I went paralyzed. I ended up with a condition called CIDP. Was it from the surgery?

molly3613
on 2/4/13 9:56 pm - TX
RNY on 01/24/13
I doubt your condition was from this surgery. My father is 93 and he has cipd and he certainly never had gastric bypass. It is an autoimmune condition and they are treating his. Google it!

cajungirl
on 2/4/13 11:51 pm

Who knows, no one knows if it's related or not.  I did a quick search to see what CIDP involves.  There appears to be some similarities to B vitamin deficiencies.  Have you been consistent with your vitamins, labs, doing your own tracking instead of taking the doctors word for it?

Sorry you are going through this.  If you post or read the grad board you'll see some issues others have had be it due to vitamin deficiencies, bowel obstructions, etc.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

jeanbell
on 2/5/13 10:49 am - Standish, MI

Thank you for your reply. Yes. I did and continue to take B12 injections. My labs do not show that I am deficient in it, but I did some research on B12 and found some info on the "stores" and how it can cause people to have the numbness and tingling and could even be paralyzed. Memos were sent to doctors all over the country about this situation. There is a way to test for it but it has to be done before any meds are taken for it. Since I couldn't be tested, I asked my Neuro if it would be okay if I took an IM injection of B12 every two weeks. He said it wouldn't hurt me, so my husband gives me the injection regularly. Again, thank you for your reply.

notyouraveragerachel
on 2/11/13 4:20 pm - OK
I'm still pre-op. Never diagnosed with cipd but was having terrible neurological problems. My hands and arms would go numb you to my elbows. So bad that I cut my self several times in the kitchen, and also burning myself numerous times, time bad enough that I had to have medical care. I also started having trouble with my eye. It would twitch uncontrollably. And started getting blurry, even when I had my glasses on. My neurologist did all of the tests on just nerves and did bloodwork and realized that my b12 was in the 50s. He said much longer and I would have done permanent neurological damage. I now do a 1 CVS injection once a week. I also get infusions and super high doses of other vitamins. I guess I have a weird form of malabsorption. Related to my ibs. Anyway, try and get a hold of your bloodwork and see what your numbers are and how they compare with normal. I feel like a completely different person since I started all the vitamins! Good luck!
Most Active