Question

SunnydazeRobyn
on 2/8/13 9:19 am

If liquids go straight through, or push food through, how is medicine affected? Does it push that through before you get the effects of it?

Robyn

Highest weight 332, Consult weight 325, Surgery weight 316

tina.k
on 2/8/13 11:45 am - Taylorsville, KY
Hi Robyn, the one thing I can answer is that I know for sure that I don't get the full benefit of my anti-depressant-it simply does not stay in my system long enough. So, I don't take ant extended release, and sometimes split the dose to twice daily.
poet_kelly
on 2/8/13 12:09 pm - OH

Liquids go straight through the pouch into the small intestine.  If you swallow a pill with liquid, it goes straight through the pouch into the small intestine.  Which is fine, because we absorb meds (or almost all meds, anyway) in the small intestine.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

ChristineB
on 2/8/13 8:08 pm - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL

What Kelly said.

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

Valerie G.
on 2/8/13 10:01 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

They don't go "straight through", but they do pass more quickly.   Some do have to change any time-released meds, but others are fine.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active