Can eat but cant drink

Lottyda
on 2/26/13 5:16 am - NJ
I was sleeved on 12/28/12. for a little over 1 monthi have not been able to drink water, gatorade, ice chips, etc I was drinking apple juice mixed wi****er but now im not able to tolerate that... I can eat eith no problem, drinking is my problem. Also I jhave a problem with mucus.. I have no idea what causes these problems but my surgeon doesnt seem to care. Today I went to er to get fluids iv hook up. Bc I cant drink liquids
Hislady
on 2/26/13 5:51 am - Vancouver, WA

Seriously she didn't care?! I'd be firing her ASAP. Being dehydrated is not a good thing with any type of surgery. Have you told her that you have had to get IV hydration? Maybe you aren't getting the idea across of the seriousness of the situation. The mucus I wouldn't worry too much about unless that is why you can get liquids down because there is so much mucus already in the way. If I were you I'd make an appointment with her right away and be very adamant that something needs to be done so you can get your fluids in. That is very important especially this early out. Be the squeeky wheel and get this done.

hollykim
on 2/26/13 9:21 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 26, 2013 at 1:16 PM Pacific Time, Lottyda wrote:
I was sleeved on 12/28/12. for a little over 1 monthi have not been able to drink water, gatorade, ice chips, etc I was drinking apple juice mixed wi****er but now im not able to tolerate that... I can eat eith no problem, drinking is my problem. Also I jhave a problem with mucus.. I have no idea what causes these problems but my surgeon doesnt seem to care. Today I went to er to get fluids iv hook up. Bc I cant drink liquids

what exactly do you mean by saying you "can't" drink? it wont go down?you throw it back up? You don't like the way it feels in your sleeve/pouch?  it would be nearly impossible to be able to swallow food but not liquid,imho.

need more info here.

Lottyda
on 2/26/13 9:27 am - NJ
I mean I immediately throw the liquid back up ... As far as talking to my sureon he I impossible he pretends everything is great and he doesnt give any explination... He told me to go to primary dr
hollykim
on 2/26/13 9:56 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

but you don't throw up food???  what exactly are you drinking? have you tried different temperatures,very small sips,etc?

As fort the surgeon i would march in there and tell him no i would not go to my primary and that i demanded that HE find out what is wrong or I would sue him for malpractice! You are STILL his responsibility whether he likes it or not and that is what I would tell him.

Hislady
on 2/26/13 10:53 am - Vancouver, WA

We have to get a love button!!!!! Really I can't  believe this doc I'd be so all over him he'd wish he never saw me!

Dagne Tripplehorn
on 2/28/13 3:07 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12

Your surgeon must investigate this! If he finds nothing, this might be a passing sensitivity. Until it goes away, if it does, can you drink thick liquids? If you can't use protein shakes, keifer, milk, cream soups, etc. for your liquids, you might have to try thickeners made for people with swallowing difficulties.

If even thick liquids (try different temperatures) won't work, it's a medical issue.

Most Active