too much weight gain

michellekorsunsky1
on 3/24/13 12:11 am - brooklyn, NY

please someone help me.. i had gastric bypass about 7 years ago and i am gaining weight back fast!!!!

my lowest wast 16 pounds now im a crazy 190 pounds what do i do i need help ... im very depressed due to this someone please help me and give me information on what type of diet or whatever i can do i am so depressed about my weight i have started to try every diet pill in the book ... please help me!!!

MsBatt
on 3/24/13 2:16 am

Do you journal your food? If not, that's a good place to start. Log every bite that goes into your mouth---you may find you're eating more than you realize.

If you are journaling, how many grams of protein are you eating daily? Fats? Carbs? Are those carbs simple or complex? How much do you exercise? What about vitamins?

Diet pills didn't work pre-op, and they're not going to work any better post-op. They are often harmful rather than helpful.

How long has it taken you to gain this 30 pounds?

Valerie G.
on 3/24/13 3:02 am, edited 3/24/13 3:02 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Now, a little regain is completely normal and harder to lose as your body has adjusted.  As the years pass, our tolerances build up and we learn where we can cheat.  Pretend you're brand new again and you may gain some headway.  Just go back to the way you were eating your first year - following all the rules and afraid of anything "yummy".  Instead of trying every diet in the book, start eating like a RNY  again and see how that does.

Worst case scenario, if you've stretched your stoma and find yourself constantly hungry, you may want to look to revise to something like the DS.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Mary Catherine
on 3/24/13 5:51 am

Regain is normal and happens to most of us.  The first time I ate full sugar candy, I felt terribly guilty and afraid someone would find out. Now I do it easily.  The old habits and desires don't go away.  I have to weigh myself everyday, just to keep myself honest.  I rarely dump now. 

To lose weight I have to go on a low calorie diet.  For me that is 800 calories a day and I lose one pound a week.  I eat about 300 calories in lean protein, 200 in high fiber bread and the rest in fruit and vegetables, usually strawberries, blueberries, or an apple, celery, peppers, onion, lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, and just vinegar or lemon juice for dressing.  To lose 20 pounds I have to stay on that diet for 20 weeks.  No quick weight loss for me after surgery.  My body is stubborn about holding onto weight now.  Give yourself 30 weeks and resolve to lose 30 pounds. 

Going low calorie will be hard at first, but you do get used to it.  Diet pills won't help.  Only dropping calories will do the trick now. 

Paula_22
on 3/24/13 3:44 pm

You seem to think that exercise is the key to weight loss. You are wrong. Don’t get me wrong, exercise is important and acts as a catalyst for weight loss, but the calories you burn running a 5k can be undone by a candy bar. The first thing you need to do is reduce the amount of calories you consume so that you make a calorie deficit. Be careful with this. This DOES NOT mean to do any special diet. Although starting out on a detox diet that isn’t something stupid like a master cleanse is a good way to start. Don’t do weigh****chers, don’t buy any special diet foods or anything like that. You need to eat less but you also need to eat healthy.

MsBatt
on 3/25/13 5:41 am

Ah, Paula? You've ben a member here for THREE DAYS, and according to your profile you're not a WLS patient, just the friend of one. I'm not sure you're in the best position to be giving post-WLS advice.

Most Active