HELP!! Confused about Protein

shellyb1203
on 3/29/13 12:09 pm
VSG on 09/20/13

While trying to get a grasp of this protein thing (I am Pre-Op), I have really gotten confused.  There are so may different types of proteins in these supplements.   Whey, Whey Isolate, Collagen, Casein, Soy ???   Is any better than the others for WLS patients?  Do you use a combination to fit your needs for a certain given time?  I am so lost.  I truly appreciate any advice

poet_kelly
on 3/29/13 12:23 pm - OH

Whey isolate is the easiest to absorb, but whey concentrate, soy isolate, or calcium caseinate will all work fine.

Just avoid collagen, because it's an incomplete protein and not absorbed well at all.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

shellyb1203
on 3/29/13 12:40 pm
VSG on 09/20/13

Thank you so much.   That makes it easier to do my research and try out flavors :)

Srg2
on 3/29/13 3:21 pm - CA

The previous poster was correct.  Whey is the best - it is an animal protein.

Ema

~Ema

Revision - Lapband to RNY 3/15/2013 = Highest weight: 244 lbs, Surgery weight: 230 lbs, Goal Weight: 130         

scarlettbegonias
on 3/31/13 9:45 pm - Australia
RNY on 10/19/12

I'm going to suck but... Don't rely on what you like now being what you'll like after surgery, you're taste buds WILL change and what tastes fine to you now will taste like monkeys butt after-not all but some defiantly will- I was given this advice preop and took it with a gra in of salt, I thought the taste difference couldn't be THAT different, I also didn't"get" people that said they couldn't drink protein- it can be that different and some people can't drink protein- I've only just been able to slowly restart it in my diet, whatever you do DON'T stock up on the protien powders you like now, invest in some sample sizes for when your post op to see what you can stomach.

good luck with your researching :-)

Band placed April '08 four years of hell-Band removed may '12~Non VSG July 26 '12. All went to hell~RNY on the 19th october '12~Leak & infection 26th october '12 ~infection 24th November '12, 2 weeks hospital~infection 25th dec '12 4 days ~30/5/13 hernia repair 4 days~hw120/sw/115/gw/58kg

shellyb1203
on 4/3/13 3:11 pm
VSG on 09/20/13

Thank you SOOO much for that advice.   I had NO idea that the "tastes" would/could change.   I am definitely going to take your advice and stock up on some samples for post op.  Any suggestions on the best places to go for protein?

Most Active