Food Amounts - tolerating more than I think I should

Srg2
on 3/31/13 4:24 pm - CA

I am almost 2.5 weeks post op RNY, and feel I am able to eat way too much.  I am on the soft/chewy food diet like chicken/tuna salad, purees, etc.  I really don't much restriction.  I chew my food extremely well and take small bites, but from what I understand I should only be able to tolerate a few bites.  I can honestly eat about 1 cup of food.  It makes me wonder if my surgeon actually did the surgery or just claims he did :O. 

Has anyone else experienced this.  I am not gorging myself and am eating what is acceptable per my doctors rules, but I just feel like I should be more restricted.  On top of that, I haven't lost anything in 4 days since I transitioned to this phase of the post-op diet.

Ema

~Ema

Revision - Lapband to RNY 3/15/2013 = Highest weight: 244 lbs, Surgery weight: 230 lbs, Goal Weight: 130         

MrsLitch
on 3/31/13 5:49 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

Several things going on here. Your nerves were cut so you are apt to not feel full at this point, many don't. You state you are able to eat one cup of food but also stated you are eating per your doctor's rules? Do his rules state you can eat a cup? Mine gave me an acceptable amount which is why I'm asking. It is important to measure your food esp. this early out until you get the signals which will come back soon.

Also in eating purees they are pretty much slider foods. They are going through your pouch into your intestines quicker than dense protein will when you can have it.

Next, a lot of people mention the 2 week or 3 week stall where they don't lose weight for a week or two, it's very common. It also typically coincides with the transition to soft or regular foods, don't be alarmed it's normal for your body to play catch up at this point. It's important to take your measurements early out so if and when you get a stall you can measure to see if you are losing inches. Many report that when the weight loss stops for a week or two is when they see large drops in inches. Knowing this will help you mentally through the scale stand still.

Remember just because you CAN eat something doesn't mean you should. Measure and stick to plan, protein first and you'll do fine.

I learned in the first few months to eat until "not hungry" instead of eating until full. Full typically meant miserable for me post op, I'm sure it still would but I don't ever eat to that point, I still measure at 10 mo out.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

tipoftheiceberg
on 3/31/13 7:27 pm

Ema....it has been  2 .5 weeks and you already lost 14 pounds.  Woo hoo!  That is rockin.  Very cool.  Take a step back for a moment.  This tells me you are doing something right.

Some personal suggestions but PLEASE CONFIRM with your surgeons guidelines.  Make certain that your diet is primarily protein dense/high protein food sources. I was told to eat 70-80 grams of protein per day.  Eat 4-6 small meals per day.  

TIPS: A) Serving size: no more than 1/2 cup every meal (buy 4 oz bowls or GLAD Tupperware containers).  B) Stop eating when you feel the first sign of being FULL!  C) Eat SLOWLY (20-30 minutes per meal)

Drink at least 48-64 oz (6-8 cups per day) of fluids between meals.  DO NOT drink any fluids with meals (this includes creamy or pureed soups).  Avoid drinking with meals and wait 45 minutes after meal to consume liquids. Avoid all soda products.

Again the above is just a suggestion.  Please verify with your doctor and follow their Nutritional Guidelines after Gastric Bypass Surgery.

Srg2
on 4/1/13 2:57 am - CA

My surgeons guidelines are consistent with yours, except I am to wait 30 minutes after eating to drink.  I am focusing on protein to ensure I get at least 60-80 grams per days, but I just thought I would "feel" full after the 1/2 cup of food and I don't.  The nerves being cut explanation does make sense though. I am not eating junk and items I am not supposed to.  Thank you for the replies - I really appreciate it.

~Ema

Revision - Lapband to RNY 3/15/2013 = Highest weight: 244 lbs, Surgery weight: 230 lbs, Goal Weight: 130         

Karens62
on 4/1/13 3:14 am - NC
RNY on 02/26/13
Have you asked your surgeon how much you should be eating? Once I got to puréed, I am restricted to 2 oz per meal. I have no idea how much I "could" tolerate because I measure everything.

HW - 319, SW - 303.5 

mzlaura
on 4/2/13 8:49 am - Litchfield, NH
RNY on 03/05/13

My program allows 1/4-1/2 cup 3x daily protein first obviously... i can handle anywhere from 4-7 tbsp at times which is still less than 1/2 cup. soups even tomato i find go down much easier... even eggs go down relatively easy... pureed chicken is a little tougher... usually 3 tbsp there and it has to be like water consistancy.

HW: 401  SW: 297  CW: 200.8
RNY gastric bypass surgery on March 5th, 2013

Most Active