"So how are you doing on your weight loss?"

Cinn
on 4/8/13 5:30 am - MI

I STILL get this question 4 1/2 years post op. Isn't it still rude to ask someone about their weight? Isn't it obvious how I'm doing on my weight loss my by looking at me?

Do you get this extremely rude question and how do you answer it?

RNY: 9/3/2008     LBL: 6/5/2013

chris_ruff
on 4/8/13 6:34 am, edited 4/8/13 6:34 am
RNY on 04/07/09 with

funny that you put this on here today. yesterday at my brother's birthday party one of my aunts (who i'm not close to) mentioned "your stomach surgery" and oh how she was "just so worried about you when you had it". well it was 4 years ago. and she only ever brings it up in front of my fiance. guess what ***** he knows! its not a secret, i used to be really fat and i had RNY. not exactly a news flash, yanno? wow, some people just can't keep their mouths shut. and she's obese so i think its just a bit of jealousy and trying to turn the screw in my direction. at least i only have to see her on family occasions!  

eta: oh, and i answered, it was 4 years ago and i'm fine. end of story. 

--Christina
crystal M.
on 4/8/13 7:59 am - Joliet, IL

I still get questions...but in all fairness I am still losing (It has been a long journey for me but I have lost almost all my excess 200 lbs).  I am down to my last 25 lbs.  So I guess if they are still asking 4 years from now I will be annoyed. 

MsBatt
on 4/8/13 10:43 am

Occasionally people who knew about my surgery back when I had it will ask, but I don't take it as rude. Mostly I think they're just glad to see me doing well, and want to be sure I'm healthy, too.

Cinn
on 4/12/13 6:03 am - MI

I want everyone to be healthy, too. But I don't walk around asking four years after someone had a heart attack "So are you taking your blood pressure medications?" I'm not their mom or their doctor. It's obvious by looking at me that I need to drop a few pounds. So do the majority of Americans, it's just rude to bring it up.

Can you imagine if we all walked around:

"Did you take your insulin shot today?"

"How is your depression and anxiety going? Any further thoughts of suicide since you tried to commit it four years ago?"

"How's your love life since your wife walked out on you four years ago?"

"Still grieving that death of that loved one you lost four years ago?"

Some things are just not meant to be said out loud.

RNY: 9/3/2008     LBL: 6/5/2013

Most Active