Not sure which one to go with

1HorseLover
on 4/11/13 11:35 am

Thank you I will have to check for it and read thanks

GreenisLove
on 4/11/13 10:26 am - CA
VSG on 05/29/13

I think it depends on your comorbidities...like do you have diabetes, sleep apnea, acidc reflux, those all go into account when choosing which one.

Nic M
on 4/11/13 7:40 am

The lap band is absolute crap. It's damaging and I can't believe it hasn't been taken off the market, there is such a high failure rate. I had the band done about 10 years ago... had it removed over 8 years ago... and still have damage and total regret.

I guess you can see that my advice is: don't get a band. kiss

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

1HorseLover
on 4/11/13 8:55 am

I am so sorry you had such a horrible experience :( Would you recommend the sleeve at all? If not what would your recommendation be if you had to do it all over?

southernlady5464
on 4/11/13 9:39 am

No band...

If you NEED NSAIDS, you have two other options, the VSG and the DS. If you aren't currently on NSAIDS, remember we all get older and arthritis is typically treated with NSAIDS.

IF you need the malabsorption, then the VSG is not for you.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

1HorseLover
on 4/11/13 11:37 am

Whar is malabsotion and DS?

southernlady5464
on 4/11/13 11:04 pm
On April 11, 2013 at 6:37 PM Pacific Time, 1HorseLover wrote:

Whar is malabsotion and DS?

The DS is the Duodenal Switch...you can read about it here.

There are four major types of weight loss surgeries: Two are restrictive only (as all they do is restrict the amount you can eat...SUPPOSEDLY! Those two are the lap band and the vertical sleeve.

The other two types are the Roux En Y (RNY aka "gastric bypass") and the DS...both of these are restrictive/malabsorptive. They not only restrict what you eat, they do not absorb all the food/VITAMINS you need.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

kathkeb
on 4/11/13 9:43 am

I was banded almost 4 years ago and maintain a healthy weight ..but do NOT recommend the band given the high rate of failure.

Please research all 4 types of WLS ... Regardless of what you think is covered.you can fight and debate that once you have chose the RIGHT surgery for your lifestyle.

Kath

1HorseLover
on 4/11/13 11:39 am

Thank you all soo much for your advice and testimonies they are appreciated greatly and will all be kept in mind when making my choice. God Bless you all :)

MsBatt
on 4/12/13 8:55 am

The DS will give you the most help losing weight, and in keeping that weight off. However, the DS will DEMAND that you spend a lot of time learning about nutrition and vitamins, and you'll have to take vitamins 4 times a day, every day, for the rest of your life. If you're not willing to do that, then don't have a DS.

Most Active