Not sure which one to go with

1HorseLover
on 4/11/13 5:03 am

Not sure which procedure to go with. I heard of all three and of course I have alot to go thru before I get my surgery but the Dr told me to be thinking of which one I want. I am not sure I am undecisive between the sleeve and the band any advise out there?

1HorseLover
on 4/11/13 8:50 am

Thank you

hollykim
on 4/11/13 7:31 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

There are actually 4 types of WLS, the lap/realize band,RNY gastric bypass,VSG, vertical sleeve and the DS,duodenal switch. I would not recommend the band to anyone and would suggest you check out the failed band forum. People are BEGGING surgeons to get those things out of their bodies.

GL

1HorseLover
on 4/11/13 8:52 am

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me I really appreciate them so very much and will check out all the options with there highs and lows :)

1HorseLover
on 4/11/13 8:53 am

So what would your recommendation be? He talked to me about the sleeve?

hollykim
on 4/11/13 9:35 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

I CAN'T RECOMMEND ANYTHING FOR YOU. yOU HAVE TO CHOOSE FOR YOURSELF. AS YOU ARE RESEARCHOING qhoops sorry,you need to tune in to what you know about the kind of eater you are. Binger? Just huge portions or hungry all the time/? emotional eater. addicted to sweets/carbs? Lose weight over and over but can't maintain the loss? Depending on the type of eater you are will help determine the surgery you need.  if you just eat huge portions,the restriction of the VSG might be all you need.

I will tell you the ONLY two I would consider,personally,is the sleeve or the DS.

all of the surgeries will require high protein,low carb eating to be successful. The DS diet is the easiest to live with...high protein,high fat,low carb and LOTS of food  that fall under this paramater. DS's eat upwards of 3000 cal a day to compensate for the malabsorption. also 120-150 gms of protein and as much fat as possible.

They eat bacon by the pound,real fats and lots of it. Keep reading the boards..go on each of the surgery boards and the failed wls board and every board you can go on. read every post on every forum for pages and pages back.

When I was researching I read the forums back as far as a year ago and gleaned all the info I know about WLS right here and I am a nurse by profession!/ Everything I know about WLS and the post op life has been learned right here.

I see your BMI is 45. what is your current weight and your height? All these things need to factoe in. Don't ,for instance,depend on the dumping of the RNY to keep you legal with sweets cause what if you don't dump?

1HorseLover
on 4/11/13 11:34 am

I am 227lbs and 4"11 in height

GreenisLove
on 4/11/13 7:37 am - CA
VSG on 05/29/13

Yes, please research them all. The band I would not wish on my worst enemy. My Dr. told me straight up, "Do I need to talk you out of the band or do you already know?" I advise reading all of the forum boards, especially revisions.

1HorseLover
on 4/11/13 8:54 am

Thank you for sharing and I want to know what would your recommendation be my Dr talked to me about the sleeve?

hollykim
on 4/11/13 10:15 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

there is a good post on the Ds board with a lot of this info on it. think it is titled 'What should i choose or something.

Most Active