20 MONTHS OUT AND HAVE NOT LOST!!!!

SpikyP L.
on 4/15/13 9:13 am - NM

I had surgery August of 2011, and between the 2 week diet before and the one week after surgery diet I lost about 30 pounds.  Since that time I have not lost at all!!!!  I have had fills continually until now that I am at 7.5 or 8 on a 10 cc band.  I had a fill 6 weeks ago and I can hardly eat anything, until after around 4:00 p.m.  when the band finally opens up after I have eaten some food.  I am eating cream of wheat or malt o meal cuz I can't eat anything else for breakfast.  I eat chicken noodle soup which has a tremendous amount of salt for breakfast and lunch which is not good.  When I finally can eat, I eat some, not a whole lot.  In calories I am eating about 1200-1500, but not healthy food.  I am not sick, I feel pretty good.  I eat Mostly carbs cuz they slide down like spaggetti, hot cereal, cold cereal with milk, mashed potatoes and gravy, ice cream, fritoes.  All these foods go down easy, I don't understand.  I can't even eat egg and chili any more for breakfast, it gets stuck.  I can drink anything, V8 is what I use with my pills in the morning.  I am going for a slight unfill Friday to see if I can get back to eating, vegetables with meat, eggs, etc.  What I don't understand is why I am not losing, for the amount of food I do eat, even if it is wrong, I still have not lost.  And no, I haven't exercised.  If I could do that and get motivated, I wouldn't have done the band!!!!   I go dancing, walk the mall, mostly what regular people do.  Anyone else had my problem???

Hislady
on 4/15/13 10:53 am - Vancouver, WA

Sounds like you are way too tight, when that happens we go for the carbs which are gonna have far more calories. You should be able to eat solid protein and some veggies. The band is not a good tool for most of us and many never do feel restriction and end up too tight trying to get that illusive "sweet spot" that really doesn't exist. I wou; suggest you get some unfill so you can eat properly and also make sure you are getting enough fluids mainly water. The band is causing serious long term esophageal damage in a great many bandsters so I urge you to never ever be on the tight side. If you go back and read on the band forum you will find all kinds of info on band problems.

SpikyP L.
on 4/17/13 3:33 am - NM

Thank you for the reply, I feel you understand. 

MrsLitch
on 4/15/13 1:18 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12
All calories are not created equal cut the carbs and eat protein forward or ask about a revision. Read the band forum and the revision forum I think you'll learn your not alone.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

MsBatt
on 4/16/13 1:27 am

Honey, it's time to get that Band out and get a real WLS. For the vast majority of folks, the Band simply DOES NOT WORK. Research the VSG/Sleeve, the RNY/gastric bypass, and my personal favorite, the DS/Duodenal Switch.

kellied77
on 4/16/13 2:26 am

I had the band placed May 2010.  I too lost 30 lbs the first 3 months....maintained that loss for 2 years gained it back this past year plus 11.   Next week having it removed and revised to sleeve.

You are definitely not the only one.  There are many docs speaking against the band right now. 

Look into it before you begin to gain.

"The things we fear are undefeatable, not by their nature, but by our approach"

VSG on April 24, 2013 / 36 years old, 5' 7"  M1:28 M2:11 M3:14 M4:6

Most Active