Cross Post: Article: Abercrombie and Fitch CEO ... Hates Fat Chicks

ShootForTheMoon
on 5/8/13 1:52 am
VSG on 12/20/12 with

I was never a fan of A+F in the first place, but now I'm disgusted with them. You won't ever catch me shopping in their store, not even when I'm one of the "skinny cool kids." 

http://elitedaily.com/news/world/abercrombie-fitch-ceo-expla ins-why-he-hates-fat-chicks/

And just as a point of reference: 

photo gty_michael_jeffries_abercrombie_mi_121019_wg_zps56a1957c.jpg

"One might wonder why Mike Jeffries only wants to be in the company of good-looking people. That curiosity will end after seeing what this freak looks like.

After seeing a picture of Mike Jeffries, it can only be concluded that he was never around good-looking people as a kid and is now making up for the glamorous youth he wishes he had."

Height: 5'8

martitalinda
on 5/8/13 2:07 am, edited 5/8/13 2:32 am

You guys please pardon me for a minute but after reading this I have to switch to ignoramus panaMANIAC mode for a minute and panaMANIAC is no lady ... HOW DARE HE! ...  I am so not one to criticize looks but he has some nerves to talk with that downright fugly visage  OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH LAWWWWWWWWWDDDDDDDDDD HAND ME THE EYE BLEACH PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

I am prone to put anything that fits my old shrunken arse on but the minute I get home I am going to check my closets and FLING ANYTHING with his label on it in the garbage IF there is anything with that label in there because unless they were gifts or hand me downs from my friends I KNOW I would have never take it upon myself to go into his store for anything ever.... I RATHER BE FAT THAN DOWNRIGHT FUGLY!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE NERVES!!!!!!!!!!! 

ETA: while I can understand him selecting and sticking to a target audience in a certain size range of his preference for HIS stores ... it is his comments as a grown man and CEO of a company that ticked me off ..  Seriously ... is this a grown mature man speaking thusly in this year 2013? Shame on him!!! I would not purchase anything for any of the teens in our youth group from there especially when some of them don't fit his 'mold' and they are attractive all-American kids too....

“In every school there are the cool and popular kids, and then there are the not-so-cool kids,” he told the site. “Candidly, we go after the cool kids. We go after the attractive all-American kid with a great attitude and a lot of friends. A lot of people don’t belong [in our clothes], and they can’t belong. Are we exclusionary? Absolutely. Those companies that are in trouble are trying to target everybody: young, old, fat, skinny. But then you become totally vanilla. You don’t alienate anybody, but you don’t excite anybody, either,” he told Salon."

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

autumnsiggy2RNY 2/5/07 no regain having implemented lifestyle changes....

Linda_S
on 5/8/13 5:53 am - Eugene, OR

No problem!  If he hangs with all the skinny chicks, that will mean I won't have to look at that face!  broken heart  

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

(deactivated member)
on 5/8/13 6:15 am

Well, if A&E hates fat chicks than Lane Bryant hates skinny chicks.  So what?  They have a target population.  Who cares?

ShootForTheMoon
on 5/8/13 7:36 am
VSG on 12/20/12 with

The point is not that A&F doesn't carry clothing in larger sizes, the point is the derogatory comments he made towards anybody he doesn't consider to be "skinny" or "beautiful" or "a cool kid."  While I found it mildly irritating that certain stores didn't carry clothing in my size when I needed specifically "plus sized" items, I never faulted them for it. It was there prerogative, and it was simply a nice treat when I found a store that carried more than just "straight" sizes. 

I've never seen the CEO of Lane Bryant release rude and uncalled for statements about people who are too small (or too big) for their clothing. 

Height: 5'8

(deactivated member)
on 5/8/13 10:16 am
On May 8, 2013 at 2:36 PM Pacific Time, ShootForTheMoon wrote:

The point is not that A&F doesn't carry clothing in larger sizes, the point is the derogatory comments he made towards anybody he doesn't consider to be "skinny" or "beautiful" or "a cool kid."  While I found it mildly irritating that certain stores didn't carry clothing in my size when I needed specifically "plus sized" items, I never faulted them for it. It was there prerogative, and it was simply a nice treat when I found a store that carried more than just "straight" sizes. 

I've never seen the CEO of Lane Bryant release rude and uncalled for statements about people who are too small (or too big) for their clothing. 

I guess I just don't let that stuff bother me.  I have real issues in life to be angry about.  Life is just too short.

Personally I am not a fan of their clothes so I don't buy them.  I have my fav brands and stick with those.

bagelface
on 5/8/13 9:25 pm
VSG on 08/22/12
On May 8, 2013 at 5:16 PM Pacific Time, ldb1095 wrote:
On May 8, 2013 at 2:36 PM Pacific Time, ShootForTheMoon wrote:

I guess I just don't let that stuff bother me.  I have real issues in life to be angry about.  Life is just too short.

Personally I am not a fan of their clothes so I don't buy them.  I have my fav brands and stick with those.

I agree, now if Ann Taylor ever starts dissing folks that are bigger than a size 10 I'm gonna be pissed.  :)

Susan

Lapband 1/3/2007 (skmsu) revision to VSG 8/22/2012

cajungirl
on 5/10/13 2:22 am

I agree with you; while I think his comments are uncalled for it doesn't bother me at all.  I don't worry about other peoples thoughts/comments.  Seems to be such a issue today that everyone has to be Political Correct.  Fooey with all the nonsense and having to worry about stepping on others toes or offending them. 

IMO that's what's wrong today with young children......they aren't learning life has it's ups and downs and you may very well be knocked on your ass several times......it's life move along and learn from experiences.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Tammy C.
on 5/8/13 11:04 am

I wrote an article on this very topic here:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/abercrombie-fitch-refuses-to-stock-larger-sizes-for-women/

All my best, 

Tammy Colter
Director of Media & PR
Editor-In-Chief
ObesityHelp.com
OH Magazine
bagelface
on 5/8/13 9:28 pm
VSG on 08/22/12

Looks like they are about to cover this story on Good Morning America.  It will be interesting to see if the negative press will cause him to walk back his statements.  

Susan

Lapband 1/3/2007 (skmsu) revision to VSG 8/22/2012

Most Active