Not losing - did revision fail?

Srg2
on 5/21/13 1:07 pm - CA

I had my surgery March 15...lost 9 pounds the first week post-op then nothing for seven weeks.  Met with my doc two weeks ago and he said I was taking in too much protein so I lowered it to around 50g/day.  I lost three pounds quickly and then nothing again for the last week.  This makes my total weight loss since surgery 12 pounds.... I was a revision from band to bypass and I swear I have no restriction and I am getting really discouraged.  I am following my physicians diet and getting in all my water, vitamins, and exercise.  What is going on here?  Has anyone else experienced something similar?  What did you do to fix the problem?  I have thought about joining weigh****chers and doing a high protein version of it......so discouraged.  Please help.

~Ema

Revision - Lapband to RNY 3/15/2013 = Highest weight: 244 lbs, Surgery weight: 230 lbs, Goal Weight: 130         

katiekat412
on 5/21/13 7:56 pm
You should have lost first the first couple of weeks, then stalled and started again. This happens because of glycogen depletion. I had RNY and have no restriction, but immediately post op you should have. I never say this but if you were a bypass virgin you should have lost more than 12 lbs since march. My comment is less about the number and more because you say you haven't list any since the beginning.

That being said I had several weeks I didn't lose anything and I lost slowly. Regardless of what you are told DO NOT follow the food pyramid. Don't eat bread, sugar, rice and grain.

If you are allowed at this stage, focus on proteins (chicken, tuna, eggs, unsweetened Greek yogurt), veggies, and berries (in that order). For now, don't eat more than 800 calories.

Best of luck!

Highest weight 250/ SW 233/Lowest Weight 135/Regain Highest 175/Current Weight 160

Laura in Texas
on 5/21/13 8:35 pm

If you feel like you have no restriction you really need to weigh/measure EVERYTHING and then log it somewhere like myfitnesspal. Most of us do not have to do that until later, but you should now. Track every single bite.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Mary Catherine
on 5/21/13 11:03 pm

Your surgeon needs to know that you feel no restriction.  Perhaps the pouch is too big or the stoma is too big.  Are you being extremely careful about not drinking with meals.  Drinking with meals pretty much defeats the surgery.  As both Katie and Laura commented, the weight loss is about eating less.  Most of us came out of RNY with restriction and no desire to eat.

We struggled to get in 500 or so calories a day.  We followed the no drinking during and for at least 30 minutes after meals rule.  We did not eat any grains, potatoes, rice, pasta, ice creams, sugars, or pastries.  We did things like straining a can of chicken noodle soup and only drinking the broth.   We tracked our calories, fat grams, protein grams, water intake and weight loss.  We exercised faithfully.  The weight fell off.  When you are eating 500 calories a day and not absorbing all of them, then it is pretty obvious that there is going to be a weight reduction.  It is basically a form of starvation.

Lapband patients quickly learn how to eat around their surgery.  Perhaps you are eating the same things you did with a lapband and that is why you are having the same results that you had with the lapband.  I have seen lapband patients eating ice cream and drinking milkshakes almost immediately after surgery.  They talk about eating pizza and spaghetti and then complain that they are not losing With RNY compliance is almost compulsory in the beginning, with lapband it is voluntary.

Your lack of weight loss points to your already being able to outeat the surgery.  In time, many RNY patients go back to overeating, to drinking with meals, to drinking soda, to eating bread and other starches.  When that happens they quit losing weight and start gaining again.

Most Active