Bipolar II

Heather F.
on 5/29/13 11:34 pm - VA
Hello out there! I was curious to hear from people who have sucessfully had the RNY surgery who have been previously diagnosed with Bipolar II. I've been diagnosed for several years, and am stable on my medications. My surgeon said that me having the diagnosis wouldn't prevent him from performing surgery at all, but did tell me about the issue I may run into because of the malabsorption with the pouch. I'm trying to get an appointment with me psychiatrist to discuss things further, but in the meantime, I'd love to hear from people who have experienced this first hand.

"Failure taught me that failure isn't the end unless you give up" -Jim Carrey

Bloodshotbetty
on 5/30/13 12:14 am - minneapolis, MN

I chose to go with the sleeve as I was worried about how the malabsorption would effect my meds.  It's been too long of a journey to get my meds figured out to mess with it!  Have you thought about the sleeve?

-Alycia-

Heather F.
on 5/30/13 12:26 am - VA
I have thought about the sleeve, but because I have GERD, my surgeon highly suggests the RNY, even with my Bipolar diagnosis. My psychiatrist also said that she isn't worried, as my medications can be crushed and taken that way. I'm still confused though!

"Failure taught me that failure isn't the end unless you give up" -Jim Carrey

Bloodshotbetty
on 5/30/13 12:50 am - minneapolis, MN

I would think if you were diligent about meeting with your med doctor and monitoring your moods the malabsorption of meds could be managed.  I became a little manic during the surgery process and had some depression afterwards, but I am starting to even out.

-Alycia-

SarahI
on 5/30/13 12:47 am - Indian River, MI
VSG on 03/04/13

I don't have Bipolar but i did suffer from GERD and i went with the Sleeve.  I still take Omeprozole everyday, but i have a handle on it.  I wish you the best in your decision.  Keep us posted with your progress!

SARAH

NEPoppy
on 5/30/13 8:35 am - Hastings, NE

I have Bipolar I and my meds are very similar to those used to treat Bipolar II. I had to have RNY, but have had no problems with the absorption of my medications. I will tell you, though, losing all the weight was a rollercoaster ride through Looney-Toon ville for me!!!!! Apparently, alllllllllllll those adipose cells in your body also store up hormones, which are released when you lose weight. I did NOT know this prior to surgery and did not have super-close monitoring by my doctor. Well, needless to say, my body decided to revolt!!! My normal tactile hallucinations turned into auditory ones until my doc figured out the hormones where making my Bipolar more pronounced. Once we figured that out, we increased some of my medications and I have been right as rain since. I go see him once every six weeks now (it was once every three weeks during my peak loss months) just to make sure all my meds are still adjusted right. Managing Bipolar is VERY important, and you have to do whatever it takes to be healthy!! Awareness and proactive management is key!

Popppy

Gina 21 Years Out
on 5/31/13 8:12 pm, edited 5/31/13 8:12 pm - Burleson, TX

HEATHER--excellent question-and THANK YOU for asking it! Seems all too often peeps are fearful of speaking of a "non-physical" illness...crap to ME..IMHO any illness is an illness (30+ year mean old nurse here)...

Anyhoo...while I don't personally share the lifestyle I, have close associates who do-a couple who are post RNY. For ME, I am 11 years post RNY/garden variety Depression/chronic Migraines/yadda/yadda/yadda and keeping the right LEVEL of meds, in my system, for my flucuating, weights, and been a true adventure, to say the very least...BUT WORTH EVERY EFFORT..my family may not agree, but they did not have to live in my 340 pound body...I'm thinking maybe sometimes those flucuating moods/hormones might not have been PLEASANT to live in the same house with...I'm usually so fabulous to be around, don't ya know  :) ...

NEPOPPY said it best about the adipose tissue AKA fat releasing those hormones. When the fat cells shrink there is nowhere for those hormones to go, but out in the body universe, and they just run amuc****il they are absorbed, or flushed/pooped/whatever finally happens to them..

You sound like a person who is very proactive with her body and her health. THAT WILL MAKE YOU A SUCCESS. Sadly, I can name you 20 "non-success" stories, without even having to think, of peeps I know, locally, who are struggling with their post op lives, by NOT being in touch with their body, and not being proactive with their medical needs. I have been FAR from perfect, but I never give up, and I'm at spitting distance of goal today. EVERY medication can react differently with wt loss/wt gain..and absorption is SOOOOOOOOO very different from person to person, and the further post op you get, absorption rates can be very different. YOU JUST NEVER REALLY KNOW...

Looking forward to your updates !

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Most Active